PDA

View Full Version : Maple vs. Ash and Hickory

bigtruck260
10-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Mike Shannon, who broadcasts Cardinals games has been obsessed with the fact that bats have been shattering at a record pace this year. The culprit in his opinion is the high amout of maple bat usage in MLB. Since I started collecting a few years ago, I have noticed that there are not nearly as many vintage bats for sale that are shattered, let alone cracked like the maple bats I have seen for sale.

The question is in two parts:

A. Are maple bats just easliy compromised? I have read that some companies do not brand their bats (they foil stamp) in fear of degrading the wood.

B. Are players just stronger nowadays?

Whats the deal? Do the guys who collect vintage bats have a bunch of busted ones that they are keeping to themselves?

Thanks.

Dave

OaklandAsFan
10-07-2007, 11:43 PM
From what I have noticed and what was commented to me by a few players a few years back during ST is that maple bats rarelhy just crack. they split in half and go flying I have heard several infielders mention that they don't like all these maple bats and their popularity because they are dangerous when they break.

BMH
10-07-2007, 11:52 PM
There are several factors in Maple breakage. First is bat design, there are more big barrel, small handle bats than say 20yrs. ago. Next is weight, the average weight of a pro bat is 31oz. 20yrs. ago it was more like 36oz. Pitchers also tend to throw to the inside more often now, with a small handle bat, it will snap pretty easy. Most Maple is also dried more than Ash, this makes it have a "harder" surface, but it won't have the same elasticity as Ash. We actually changed our drying schedules of billets to add a little more MC to the billets to help them flex more. The down side is some players believe the wood feels softer.

bigtruck260
10-08-2007, 10:59 AM
BMH - you are a really valuable person. I appreciate the response.

Do you think there will be limitations put on the amount of maple use in MLB? Especially is someone is pierced during play? Seems like it is only a matter of time...I hear Steve Yeager's name mentioned every now and then.