PDA

View Full Version : Baez Devil Rays Japan Series Jersey

Ozric
10-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Any thoughts regarding the authenticity of this jersey. I'm not familiar with the 2004 Japan series jersey's, but would have figured that it should have sold for much more than what it finished at...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170148081114&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

kylehess10
10-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Every single jersey I've seen from that Japan series has the MLB hologram so I find it questionable.

Ozric
10-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks for your insight Kyle. It almost looks as though there was a hologram removed from the tagging to the right of the majestic logo. Also, I did not think that these were ever available for retail sale pre named and numbered. I happened upon it last minute and took a chance with a low bid thinking that I would get outbid for it...

Tim

TNTtoys
10-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Any thoughts regarding the authenticity of this jersey. I'm not familiar with the 2004 Japan series jersey's, but would have figured that it should have sold for much more than what it finished at...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170148081114&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

Personally, I think it went for fair market value. There has been a glut of these 2004 Japan series jerseys out there recently... approx. 30 Yankees and Rays jerseys from this series, and they sold for very little. I think that if it were the only one of its kind out there, it would have been a higher priced item... but we all know the law of supply & demand. I commend Jon for picking this up and making a nice profit on it. I spotted it for very cheap myself and dropped the ball.

Ozric
10-07-2007, 12:31 PM
TNT. I agree, I have no problem with anyone making a quick buck... As long as the buck was made on something that was authentic. I bid rather hastily on this one basing my judgement on his 100% feedback as well as a few other quick considerations. As Kyle mentioned though, the apparent lack of an MLB hologram does concern me now.

TNTtoys
10-07-2007, 06:28 PM
TNT. I agree, I have no problem with anyone making a quick buck... As long as the buck was made on something that was authentic. I bid rather hastily on this one basing my judgement on his 100% feedback as well as a few other quick considerations. As Kyle mentioned though, the apparent lack of an MLB hologram does concern me now.
If you have any questions about the jersey, you should write to the seller, as you have all of his details through the ebay transaction. He's a member here and I have never heard anything bad about him before.
I personally wouldn't hold him at fault if he didn't mention MLB authentication in his listing, and the fact that it's not included with the item is your sole concern. If it is any consolation, I have seen roughly 30 of these Japan series batting practice jerseys this past month and not one of them contained the MLB logos -- could it be possible that the game jerseys from this series did whereas the BPs didn't?

ahuff
10-07-2007, 07:00 PM
If you have any questions about the jersey, you should write to the seller, as you have all of his details through the ebay transaction. He's a member here and I have never heard anything bad about him before.
I personally wouldn't hold him at fault if he didn't mention MLB authentication in his listing, and the fact that it's not included with the item is your sole concern. If it is any consolation, I have seen roughly 30 of these Japan series batting practice jerseys this past month and not one of them contained the MLB logos -- could it be possible that the game jerseys from this series did whereas the BPs didn't?

Thanks for the information on the 30 jerseys. However, I don't understand about the BP -vs- game jersey portion. From all the photos I can find of BP and the game, it appears they wear the same style of jersey.

Also, perhaps I'm misreading the original post, but it doesn't seem inappropriate. It sounds like he is just wanting feedback to see why the jersey sold so low. Ozric, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I know this was a jersey I watched, but simply missed the closing bell on it. I should have bid sooner. Everything looked good to me.

Ozric
10-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Many thanks for the responses guys. That's why I love this forum so much. Different view points are the key to solving any question... Ahuff, thanks for the pics and you are correct as I really thought that I was going to get outbid as my max bid was not that high in my mind. I was very pleased to find out that I won as I have followed Baez since he was with the Indians. I figured that it was worth the chance at the last minute. TNT, Jon the seller has been super as he has responded to every e-mail I have sent so far. Also, I thought that it was a game worn jersey and not a BP jersey as it was not advertised as a BP jersey. If so, I would not have bid. That would make sense to me regarding your price point as a BP jersey, and ultimately, why the auction ended so low. A game used jersey of his regularly sell for 2-3 times that amount. I'm with Ahuff as I thought there was no difference between the BP and game jerseys for this series for the Devil Rays. I realize that we are only dealing with a $100.00 item. I was just hoping to find out from the wealth of knowledge on this forum if there was a definitive way to ascertain the authenticity of this jersey from this series. It looks correct from everything that I have seen so far, just missing the MLB hologram...

TNTtoys
10-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the information on the 30 jerseys. However, I don't understand about the BP -vs- game jersey portion. From all the photos I can find of BP and the game, it appears they wear the same style of jersey.

Looks like you're right. What was confusing me as I tried to help Tim out was the fact that the 30 jerseys that hit the market at the same time were about half Tampa jerseys and half NY jerseys. All were BP style.
Also looks like Tampa Bay wore these jerseys in the actual game, whereas the Yankees didn't. They only wore theirs during BP but wore white pinstripe jerseys during the actual game. The Yankee pinstripe jerseys did not surface along with the others.