PDA

View Full Version : Cubs game used suitcase

bubbrubb25
10-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Does anyone buy those I guess suitcases from the cubs with game used equiptment in them? Im not from the chicago area and wanted to know how much they were and if someone could pick one up for me when there selling them. dannysubach@yahoo.com

05whitesox
10-06-2007, 05:59 PM
I Live In The Chicago Area But I Never Heard Of Suitcases Like That I Could Pick It Up For You If You'd Like

bigtruck260
10-06-2007, 06:37 PM
If you go to the thread about "sharpies", there is a link to an auction where some guy apparently hit the jackpot - ?

RobSteinmetz
10-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Guys,

The Cubs equipment guys started doing this about 4 years ago at the team Garage Sale at the Cubs Convention. They take the old beat up suitcases and stuff them with jerseys, cleats, caps, batting helmets, lineup cards, and everything else you can imagine that would originate from a locker room (yes, they've even had jock straps in the past). They fill the suitcases in private, tape them up, and auction them off one by one to the highest bidder. They often sell for hundreds of dollars...usually in the $300-$500 range. In all honesty, no one "hits the jackpot" with these suitcases. I've watched 90% of these suitcases being filled, and nothing earth-shattering is put in these cases. Last year, probably the best pieces that were put in the suitcases were a pair of Maddux's turf shoes and a Ryan Theriot game worn jersey void of its strip tagging. The suitcases are loads of fun for fans and novice collectors, but not really anything more serious game used collectors would be interested in (in my opinion). I've been attending the Cubs' sales for 15+ years, and in my humble opinion, there are much better ways to spend your hard-earned money.