PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Texas Rangers Jersey

ahuff
02-01-2006, 07:23 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on this jersey?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1985-Game-Used-Texas-Rangers-Road-Jersey-Buechelle_W0QQitemZ8757721916QQcategoryZ60597QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

I have several Ranger jerseys from that year, but all of mine are Rawlings. Did Wilson supply some of the jerseys?

kingjammy24
02-01-2006, 01:25 PM
This jersey caught my eye as well, but not because of the manufacturer.
From my memory, the Rangers first introduced this style in 1986, not 1985. 1986 was a re-design year for Rangers jerseys. So when I saw the jersey and the tagging, I thought 'Wow! Steve Buechele wore the jersey a year before they introduced it!'. But then I checked the Baseball HoF uniform database and noticed that for 1985, they show a 'faded' figure wearing this jersey standing 'in the background' (as opposed to up front with the rest of the jerseys). I don't know what information the database is intending to convey by putting the jersey in the background rather than the foreground. See here:
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1985_texas.gif&Entryid=1551

After some research, I found some evidence pointing to the notion that this style was actually introduced at the tail end of the 1985 season (rather than the start of the 1986 season).

In the early-mid 80's, the Texas Rangers used Rawlings and Wilson simultaneously. Each manufacturer supplied a specific style (road, home, alt).

In 1986, when the Rangers came out with their re-designed jerseys, Wilson supplied only the road jersey. Rawlings supplied the home jersey.
After 1986, Rawlings took over all of the jerseys for the Texas Rangers until 1992, when Russell took over.

Ahuff, you say you have several Rangers jerseys from 1985.
- Are they 1985's or 1986's? Home, Alt, or Road?
- If they're indeed 1985's, are any of them this '1986 style re-design' version?

In 1985, Wilson supplied the Blue Alternate. Rawlings supplied the Home. I'm unsure if it was Wilson or Rawlings who supplied the Red Alternate during 1985.

I'd say this Ebay jersey is a pretty rare, but accurate piece. The style of tagging is correct for a 1985 Wilson Rangers jersey. (I don't know how the 1986 Wilson Rangers road jerseys were tagged). I don't think it's got much use but it's still a pretty interesting piece as far as Texas Rangers jerseys go as it's the very first version of the 1986-93 style.

Rudy.

ahuff
02-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Rudy,

MAN!!!!!!! You have certainly impressed me. I love all the research that you are able to come up with. I don't know how you do it, but I am sure others feel blessed as well to have you on this board. Thank you.

No, I don't have any of this redesigned style in 1985. Mine are the old style home jerseys. Any of them that look like the redesigned style are from 1987.

Thank you again.

Bryan (Ahuff)