PDA

View Full Version : Orioles Mike Easler Jersey Question?

hblakewolf
10-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I picked up a handful of 1996 Orioles minor league jerseys. These look EXACTLY the same as the parent team, however, the numbers are positioned a bit higer and names were not used on back. In the grouping are both a home and road #24 jersey that has an embroidered strip tag sewn in the tail with EASLER 96. I was told that Mike Easler was a "roving instructor" for the O's in 1996, however, have no proof of this. If any readers have any knowledge of this, or access to a 1996 Orioles media guide, I'd appreciate any insight on this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
10-06-2007, 06:03 AM
Still seeking information. With so many Orioles experts out there, one would think this is an easy one!

Thanks.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Vintagedeputy
10-06-2007, 07:39 AM
I searched the net and couldnt find any reference to Easler working for the O's.

Jim

zonker
10-06-2007, 08:20 AM
howard i dont know if this help's but mike is a pitching coach for the dodger's aaa las vegas 51's this year and maybe you could contact him through them there and ask mike easler himself?

AstrosCollector
10-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Howard,

I ran a google search and came up with this article dated October 1995.....

"Former Red Sox hitting coach Mike Easler was hired as a roving minor league instructor for the Orioles, but he will be named as the team's major league hitting coach by Thanksgiving. "

I don't know how accurate the article is....it says Roger Clemens would end up with the Astros or Rangers in 1997 and Biggio was headed for the Red Sox that year..haha! I have included the link below.

Hope this helps!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n43_v219/ai_17491558/pg_2

ironmanfan
10-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Howard:

A review of the '96 Orioles Media Guide makes no mention of Easler. The hitting coach is '96 ended up being Rick Down at the Major League Level and their Minor League Hitting Instructor was Dave Stockstill. I also went through all their Minor League affiliates that year and Easler was not affiliated with any of them. In '96 both Gregg Zaun & Mark Parent wore #26. I'll give a call to my Orioles front office contact who was around that time as as well and I'll let you know he recalls about Easler.

bigtime59
10-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Howard:
Can you post pix?
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

ironmanfan
10-06-2007, 09:19 AM
sorry..my previous post I meant that Zaun & Parent wore #24 (not #26).

ironmanfan
10-06-2007, 09:27 AM
mike is a pitching coach for the dodger's aaa las vegas 51's this year

The "Hit Man" a pitching coach?? LOL ..I'm sure he had to be the Hitting Coach (no big deal).

zonker
10-06-2007, 09:57 AM
my bad! "hitting coach". the article i was reading was an interview given by there pitching coach.

ironmanfan
10-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Howard, I spoke with my Orioles contact today and his computer at home could only access records back to '98, but he promised he'd look into it when he got back to the office on Tuesday.

hblakewolf
10-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Howard, I spoke with my Orioles contact today and his computer at home could only access records back to '98, but he promised he'd look into it when he got back to the office on Tuesday.

Thanks-a few shots of the road is attached (same exact quality as the Baltimore O's jerseys).

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bigtime59
10-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Howard:
Based on the photographs, I think you should be checking with the Bluefield Orioles. Definitely not a Baltimore jersey, which leaves you with Bluefield or Gulf Coast.
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

Funny thing...I'd completely forgotten the High Desert Mavericks were an Orioles affiliate in 1996!

ironmanfan
10-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi Howard:

I apologize for not responding sooner as I was away on business and didn't get back in town until today. My contact did inform me that indeed the Orioles hired Easler as a Minor League Hitting Coordinator on 10/10/95. However, the hiring was made by Syd Thrift (who was head of the minor league department at the time) and in the ensuing 6 weeks Roland Hemond was let go, Davey Johnson & Pat Gillick were brought in, Frank Robinson was let go, etc. In other words there was a lot of organizational upheaval between October '95 and Spring Training '96 and there is a possibility that plans with Easler changed with the new front office management, since there is no record of him ever being an employee of the club (which is confirmed by the '96 Media Guide). My contact offerred to contact their HR Dept. etc and I told him it wasn't necessary. Since Easler's name wasn't on the back, I'm sure this shirt was most likely worn by some other Minor League Player or coach in '96.

Hope this helps.

Bill

hblakewolf
10-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Bill-
Thanks a ton.

This may explain why the shirts show minimal use. I have both the home and road, and compared to the other O's minor league jerseys that these came with, they show little use.

I'd rather offer them for sale on this site (one home and one road), and will entertain any reasonable offers before proceeding to list them on Ebay.

Bill, thanks again.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net