PDA

View Full Version : Mastro Lot 1477 - Gary Carter BP

TNTtoys
10-04-2007, 11:29 AM
All,

The Gary Carter jersey, part of lot 1477 in Mastro's current auction, is wrong. I have just written Mastro to inform them of the error.

The jersey appears to be a Rawlings mock-up/salesman's sample of a style that was ultimately rejected for 1987. I actually have one of these in my collection.

The jersey on auction contains white as a third color behind the silver and orange on the lettering. It also contains white sleeve stripes. The true 1987 road BPs only contained 2-color lettering, and no white sleeve stripes were present. Another problem with the jersey is the appearance of a Set tag. I have handled and own many Mets BPs and never have I seen them come in sets like the game jerseys do. I am not sure how the set tag could have made it to this jersey, but I can safely say it is not on my salesman's sample.

I'll let you know the outcome of my conversations w/ Mastro. My letter now is simply to put a warning out there if in event you were interested in the Carter jersey and did not know all of the characteristics of a true 1987 Mets road BP.

http://www.mastroauctions.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=76080&LastLotListing=Lot%20Search%20List&CurrentRow=1

Nick

TNTtoys
10-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Here are two photos to demonstrate what I have stated above:
1 of the Mastro "Carter jersey", and
1 of Carter wearing the actual jersey.
Note the style differences.

kingjammy24
10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
this is from bill henderson's guide:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4998/carterla0.jpg

is it me or does the set 2, 1987 carter bp jersey above seem like it's from grey flannel? (the background seems uniquely GFC). if so, is it the same jersey? how many 1987, set 2, carter bp shirts of this bizarre style can there be out there? i wonder if this thing has been making the rounds for years.

here is how a 1987 mets bp gamer ought to look:
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8876/carter2zu8.jpg

rudy.

TNTtoys
10-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Rudy,

The "Set 2" jersey from Bill's guide may very possibly be the same jersey as the Mastro jersey... and it may very possibly be from Gray Flannel too.

I can however safely say that I have seen this type of Carter jersey on 4 different occasions, and that there is more than 1 on the market. Two of the jerseys (the guide photo and the current Mastro) have had "Set 2" on the tags; at least 1 of the other 2 have had no set tags.

As far as my statement that there is more than 1 -- I own one. I put it away in my collection as a "prototype" and it will never see daylight as far as I can help it. Mine never had a Set tag.

Interestingly enough, whether there are 2, 3, 4, or even more of these, they are ALL Gary Carter jerseys. I have never seen this style made for another player. As Carter was an All-Star and a fan favorite, I can understand why his # was put on it. The fact that we have never seen this jersey with any other player # before may lend itself to being nothing more than a prototype.

Incidentally, I am in dialogue with Bill Henderson regarding another 1987 jersey -- the "home BP with sleeve stripes and side stripes." This jersey too might not have been worn on field, but at the moment, neither of us have found sufficient evidence to either prove or disprove it.

Nick

flaco1801
10-04-2007, 02:10 PM
i agree with TNT checked my 87 its the same as his... and i never saw set tags in bp jerseys and i have more than a few Jeff

lund6771
10-04-2007, 02:29 PM
instead of being a prototype, is it possible that shirts like these were either sold at a stadium concession stand or a retail outlet?

When seeing the variance in the styles, and the same player over and over again, it suggests something like that to me could haved hapened as well

Opinions?

flaco1801
10-04-2007, 03:39 PM
they werent sold at shea they were made to decieve the public....

TNTtoys
10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
instead of being a prototype, is it possible that shirts like these were either sold at a stadium concession stand or a retail outlet?

When seeing the variance in the styles, and the same player over and over again, it suggests something like that to me could haved hapened as well

Opinions?
I would doubt that this is the case for a few reasons:

1. Retail lettering was "flat." These Carter jerseys have textured lettering, same as the team issued jerseys. I have 1987 retail BPs and even the authentics are made differently.
2. No retail tagging. You would expect the usual white "ADULT - 44" on the back of the neck.
3. Team tagging on the right place. Rawlings tag, placed on the inner bottom front of the jersey. I have never seen a retail jersey with this.
4. Only 1 player made. A jersey that is mass-sold should have been made with all of the leading stars of the era. You would expect to have seen possibly a Keith Hernandez, a Doc Gooden, a Darryl Strawberry, etc. Not just Gary Carter.
5. I can count on 1 hand the number of these I have seen period. If the jersey was sold retail, either at a store or at Shea, etc. there would be a lot more of these floating around today.

-Nick

TNTtoys
10-10-2007, 09:43 AM
All,

An update regarding the Carter BP in the current Mastro auction.

Dave Bushing has changed the LOA for the item stating that no photos have surfaced of any Mets wearing this style jersey on field and that he must conclude that this is a prototype.

Mastro has since amended their description on the website to read the same.

-Nick