PDA

View Full Version : Collecting a specific team from a specific year.

chakes89
10-04-2007, 09:41 AM
I would like opinions and feedback as to whether I should try to collect one bat from each player on a specific team from one specific year.

I am interested in collecting at least one bat from every player on the 1995 Cincinnati Reds team that went to the playoffs. I figure I will be able to finish this before they make it back to the playoffs.

I already have bats from three of the players that were on the team and think it would fun and kind of challenging to do.

Here are the players I already have bats from:

Mark Lewis
Eddie Taubensee
Mike Remlinger

chakes89
10-04-2007, 09:46 AM
I just looked up the roster and seeing that they had about 40 guys play for them in '95 I will be focusing on the core 25 man roster for the majority of the regualr season

Birdbats
10-04-2007, 10:14 AM
I've done this for a few years. Started with the '82, '85 and '87 Cardinals... then did the '64 Cardinals... then recently collected the '04 and '06 Cardinals. It's both fun and challenging. I started by focusing on players with 100 ABs or more, plus the main 4-5 starting pitchers and the closer. When each team collection was pretty much completed and I needed another challenge, I decided to add the bench players and other pitchers. While other collectors are looking for superstar bats, I get excited about finding bats of no-name relievers from the '82 Cardinals. If you have a passion for the '95 Reds, I encourage you to go for it.

godwulf
10-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Sounds like a good collecting "focus" to me.

I was fortunate to begin my bat collecting simultaneous with the beginning of play ('98) of my team, the Diamondbacks...so although I haven't quite managed to obtain at least one bat from every player who has ever been on the roster, I've done pretty well in working toward that goal. I, too, am thrilled when I run across a "no-name" player bat that I've been seeking...'cause in many cases, they're harder to find than those of the stars.

My downfall, budgetwise, is that when I really like a player, my collecting tends to drift toward "hoarding" behavior...I buy every bat of that player that I can afford; I've got more than two dozen bats each of at least three players.

I have to say that I admire anyone who can keep the acquisition demons in check better than I.

Yankeefan01
10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm doing that with the '98 Yankees. Have been working on it since about 1999-2000. Has been a real challenge as the L-S's of that year are a one year type bat. Still need Ledee, Jeter and Posada to complete the position players.

There are some players such as Jeter that I know I won't be able to get as the cost will be prohibitive for me. With Jeter though I was able to get a game used "Jeter" bat for $10 on Ebay a couple of years ago. It's Shawn Jeter however, and he played a couple of seasons in the minors and the bat I have is a block letter "Jeter" model. Fits on the wall with the rest of the infielders from '98.

Pitchers are also another story as there aren't too many of those that pop up for AL teams.

It's alot of fun, challenging and rewarding as you go along. You get a feeling of satisfaction as you go along. I think you'll enjoy it, go for it!

TNTtoys
10-04-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm doing that with the '98 Yankees. Have been working on it since about 1999-2000. Has been a real challenge as the L-S's of that year are a one year type bat. Still need Ledee, Jeter and Posada to complete the position players.

There are some players such as Jeter that I know I won't be able to get as the cost will be prohibitive for me. With Jeter though I was able to get a game used "Jeter" bat for $10 on Ebay a couple of years ago. It's Shawn Jeter however, and he played a couple of seasons in the minors and the bat I have is a block letter "Jeter" model. Fits on the wall with the rest of the infielders from '98.

Pitchers are also another story as there aren't too many of those that pop up for AL teams.

It's alot of fun, challenging and rewarding as you go along. You get a feeling of satisfaction as you go along. I think you'll enjoy it, go for it!

If you collect the 98 Yankees, the following may be of interest to you...
http://www.mabcelebrity.com/shows/current/98%20WS/main01.htm

metsbats
10-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Collecting team bats is fun and depending on the team and era may be a long time venture. It took me 17 years to complete by 1986 Met GU bat collection and i just realized last year after thinking I completed it I"m still missing a George Foster. The 2000 Met team was easier because I had contacts within Shea and obtained almost 15 bats in bulk at the conclusion of the 2000 WS. However i'm still missing a Bobby M. Jones bat!

The older the team the harder it may be and longer it will take but it'll be fun.

David

cigarman44
10-04-2007, 10:22 PM
I think its great. I started collecting players from the Cardinals 2004 and 2006 World Series teams. Im focusing on players that actually stepped foot on the field during those series no matter if it was one pinch hit. Im up to 10 of the 22 (5 were on both teams, position players only) Once I get those I will branch out and get pitchers and roster players that didnt play in world series.

B1SON
10-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Sounds great to me. I like collecting a small exclusive collection because it is about the thrill of the chase to me, not quantity and certainly not appreciation value.