PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Seattle Mariners tagging

kingjammy24
01-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of the tagging for 1992 Mariners jerseys?

Or at the very least, does anyone know how a 1992 Mariners jersey should be tagged?

thanks,

Rudy.

ahuff
01-31-2006, 05:36 AM
You could check with Jim Yackel, because I know he has one (Hanson) listed on his website.

Spiezio23
01-31-2006, 10:59 AM
If Jim Yackel has a Mariners jersey on his site somewhere it must be well hidden as I don't see any. There is a Hansen Cubs listed however. As a Mariners collector I peruse his site every few days hoping for a Mariners addition.

The Mariners jerseys were still supplied by Rawlings in 1992 so it should have the 92 Rawlings era tagging. I unfortunately don't have an example to show you as I lost my tagging archive in a hard drive crash. It shouldn't have Russell Athletic tagging as they started being the supplier in 1993 when the Mariners Logo & colors had an overhaul.

If you have any pictures please post them and if possible, what jersey is it?

-Jeremy

hblakewolf
01-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Jeremy-
I'm assuming this post is in reference to the Ebay offering of 18 road Mariners jerseys, void of the names on back.

The 1992 jerseys in this lot have the standard Russell tagging and year tagging. You indicate that Rawlings was still making the jerseys in 1992-what is correct......Russell or Rawlings?

I have a nice game worn 2005 Ichiro road jersey I just picked up. It is a very nice Majestic, with the procode 0062. Shows solid use, and is one of the best I have seen. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I am seeking $1,900.

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Spiezio23
01-31-2006, 11:29 AM
I have seen the lot on eBay and I was initially interested in it, but I can't see spending that much for those with all the nameplates missing. I guess it's great for those that like to restore.

That lot doesn't include any 1992 jerseys, which still used the old colors of blue and yellow. The compass rose patch on the sleeve came with the logo redesign and new colors of blue and teal. The tagging shown on the 1993 jersey in that auction is correct for that time period.

As far as I can tell with all the photos I've checked Rawlings handled all of the 1992 jerseys. Anything 1993-2004 should be Russell Athletic, 2005-current should be Majestic.

-Jeremy

hblakewolf
01-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Rudy-
As noted, there is a lot of 18 road jerseys on Ebay. Search under Mariners game jersey and you will be able to view the lot, and also a shot of the 1992 tagging.

Hope this helps.
Howard

Spiezio23
01-31-2006, 01:15 PM
After some more searching through photos & cards, I did in fact find one that shows the 1992 style jerseys but with a Russell Athletic logo on the sleeve, so it is possible that it could be either on a 1992.

However the problem with photos is the dates aren't always listed or are incorrect. So I can't say for certain which was used more that year, and I retract my statement from earlier that RA was not used in 1992. It is clearly obvious that they were used before 1993 since that jersey is the old blue/yellow from pre-1993.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/Spiezio23/Mariners/HReynolds93.jpg

The tagging would look similar to this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/Spiezio23/Mariners/1989Tagging.jpg

Or this, from the eBay auction but of course stamped as 1992:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/Spiezio23/Mariners/59_1.jpg

Spiezio23
01-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Cleary, I am unaware of Rawlings tagging, as I only have 1 in my collection.

Correct Rawlings year tags can be found here.

http://www.jimyackel.com/rawlings.jpg

kingjammy24
01-31-2006, 01:28 PM
re: the lot of 18 Mariners jerseys on Ebay.
These are all from 1993.

Jeremy:
Mariners jerseys in 1992 were provided by Russell. 1992 is an interesting year for the Mariners as it not only marked the final year for their 1987-1992 era jerseys (1993 saw re-designed Mariners jerseys and logos) but it also brought Russell into the mix as the main supplier of MLB jerseys for the first time. As such, any 1987-92 era Mariners jersey made by Russell can be identified specifically as a 1992, even without any year tagging.
(Russell did not enter the Major Leagues prior to 1992 and the Mariners had re-designed jerseys in 1993.) When Russell entered the Majors in 1992, they had the majority of team contracts. Therefore, even teams that regularly recycled jerseys from year to year were unable to recycle 1991 jerseys into 1992 because of the new manufacturer (from Rawlings to Russell).

I'm guessing if your photos indicate Mariners jerseys in 1992 from Rawlings then they're probably mis-dated. Mis-dating is sometimes a problem with images from Getty. Specifically, when a Getty date is shown as "Jan 1" it means the photo was not specifically dated and as such may be incorrect.

At any rate, see my images below showing 1987-1992 era style Mariners jerseys with the Russell "R" on the right sleeve. Every 1992 Griffey I've seen for sale has also been a Russell.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/8370/mariners5nt.jpg

Rudy.

Spiezio23
01-31-2006, 01:32 PM
I would have to agree that the photos I've looked at are more than likely misdated and from 1991.

Learn something new every day.

-Jeremy

kingjammy24
01-31-2006, 01:36 PM
An addendum:
Cards 'usually' use photos from the previous year but not always.
Sometimes they'll use 2 yr old photos. Maybe 3? I think all they care about is getting a good action shot.
I've never seen a 1992 Mariners jersey made by Rawlings.

re: the year tagging on the Ebay 1993 Mariners jerseys.
That's exactly what I'm trying to find out for the 1992's. That is, were the 1992's year tagged? I don't know. I found a dealer with a lot of 4 1992 Mariners jerseys and have asked him to send me pictures of the tagging for all 4. Hopefully he will and hopefully I'll soon have an answer as to whether 1992 Mariners jerseys were year tagged or not. If anyone has any more insight, please feel free to share it.
When I find out the answer to this 'burning question' I'll share it.

thanks,

Rudy.

hblakewolf
01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Rudy-
I remembered that the Mariners had both russell and Rawlings jerseys in 1992. The Russels were void of a year tag, the Rawlings had a year tag. I also remember the Rawlings tag being a big red tag.

Ball 4 purchased a boat load of the M's equipment, and I remember them offering Griffey jerseys with the Russell and Rawlings tag for 1992.

I also remember the Russell jerseys showing little wear, and the M's favoring the Rawlings jerseys.

FYI
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

An addendum:
Cards 'usually' use photos from the previous year but not always.
Sometimes they'll use 2 yr old photos. Maybe 3? I think all they care about is getting a good action shot.
I've never seen a 1992 Mariners jersey made by Rawlings.

re: the year tagging on the Ebay 1993 Mariners jerseys.
That's exactly what I'm trying to find out for the 1992's. That is, were the 1992's year tagged? I don't know. I found a dealer with a lot of 4 1992 Mariners jerseys and have asked him to send me pictures of the tagging for all 4. Hopefully he will and hopefully I'll soon have an answer as to whether 1992 Mariners jerseys were year tagged or not. If anyone has any more insight, please feel free to share it.
When I find out the answer to this 'burning question' I'll share it.

thanks,

Rudy.

kingjammy24
01-31-2006, 04:16 PM
hi Howard,

Thanks very much for your reply. Always nice to get some further insight.
I believe we're getting closer to cracking this nut. (This thread actually wasn't in reference to the Ebay offering of 18 1993 Mariners road jerseys. Simply to help me with some of my own jerseys).

As you know, 1992 was the year that Russell became "the official uniform supplier for Major League Baseball" taking the title over from Rawlings. I'm unsure what the legal and business details were in regards to the choices that teams had or didn't have. I do know that some teams didn't completely adopt Russell for all of their jerseys. The Blue Jays didn't wear any Russell jerseys from 1992-1996 or so, using Wilson exclusively.
The Braves continued to use Wilson for some of their jerseys during the early-mid 90's. The White Sox used both Wilson and Russell from 1992-late 90's. (With the White Sox, manufacturer preference seemed to be on a player, rather than team, basis. Ventura, for example, preferred Wilson. Frank Thomas seemed to prefer Russell). I was previously unaware of any A.L. teams that used Russell and Rawlings simultaneously during 1992.
Upon looking at Bill Henderson's guide, he notes that in 1992, the Mariners used Rawlings for their home whites and Russell for their road greys.
The 'big red' Rawlings tag that you mentioned was indeed a re-design for 1992. (In 1991, Rawlings used the white tags).

I have a few questions:

- Do you recall if all of the 1992 Mariners Rawlings jerseys you saw happened to also be home whites?

- Do you, or anyone else, have any photos of these Rawlings tags on any 1992 (or 1993) A.L. jerseys?

- Does anyone have any images showing the "Rawlings" sleeve logo on any 1992 (or 1993) A.L. jerseys?

The dealer I spoke of earlier sent me a photo of the tagging from 4 of his 1992 Mariners jerseys. They're all road greys:

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/6843/mariners21kw.jpg

You are correct; no year tagging. I have a 1992 Mariners road jersey purchased from another source. It shows the same identical tagging as the photo above. As well, in December 2002, Lelands auctioned off a 1992 Griffey road jersey. It was a Russell with the same tagging as shown in the photo above. It's just occurred to me I've never ever seen a 1992 Mariners home jersey. There isn't even a single image on Getty of the 1992 Mariners at home. Anyone have any images of the 1992 Mariners at home or a 1992 Mariners home jersey?

Jeremy: Regarding the Jim Yackel 1992 Mariners Hanson jersey. This jersey did indeed exist...on Jim's old site: http://members.aol.com/jjyackel/baseball.htm

Here it is:
SEATTLE MARINERS-road/gray #39 HANSON, NOB, Russell Athletic size 48 buttondown, 92 year tag, 3" extra length-$175.00

His 1992 Mariners road jersey has a '92 year tag'????

By the way Jeremy, if you're looking for a nice 1991 Mariners road Erik Hanson, Dennis at www.sportswarehouseinc.com (http://www.sportswarehouseinc.com) has one. Dennis is phenominal to deal with.

thanks everyone for helping,

Rudy.

ahuff
01-31-2006, 09:52 PM
Sorry about that guys (regarding Jim's site). I did a yahoo search this morning, and this site came up:

http://hometown.aol.com/jjyackel/baseball.htm

I just didn't notice that it appears to be his old site.