PDA

View Full Version : It must be frustrating to be a Mets fan right now!

richpick
09-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Man I can't believe the Mets collapse this year. I would like to hear a Mets fans idea on what must be done.

metsbats
09-30-2007, 07:01 PM
I've been a Met fan for over 35 years and as a long time fan you learn that nothing is automatic with this team. So as frustrated as I'm was over the last two weeks, truthfully I'm not in shock.

With their play the last month of the season even if they made the playoffs they didn't have the right frame mind nor consistent level of play to make it past the first round. Unlike the Phillies whom just gain the momentum and consistency of good baseball which allow them to eventually overtake the slumping Mets and win the NL East.

Next year they should get upgrade starting pitching (let Glavine walk), the bullpen (get rid of Mota and his juiced arm), bench (good bye Mr. Conine who probably will retire anyway, keep Marlon Anderson). The starting line up should not be touched in my opinion however it would be interesting to see if Paul LoDuca returns but more interesting to see what Ramon Castro can do if he played the whole season as a starting catcher.

David

TNTtoys
09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Next year they should get upgrade starting pitching (let Glavine walk), the bullpen (get rid of Mota and his juiced arm), bench (good bye Mr. Conine who probably will retire anyway, keep Marlon Anderson). The starting line up should not be touched in my opinion however it would be interesting to see if Paul LoDuca returns but more interesting to see what Ramon Castro can do if he played the whole season as a starting catcher.

As much as it aggravates me to even discuss this while the wound is still open, I'll give it my best...

1. Randolph does not have the management skills for this team. His frequent mistakes, lack of discipline, lack of emotion, "oh well, we'll get them next time" attitude has to go. When a player like Jose Reyes make s a fundamental mistake on the field like attempting to steal third base with 2 outs during a rally and then kills the rally by getting thrown out, it is up to the manager to take appropriate action to ensure that it doesn't happen again. Instead we see Gomez do the same thing a week later and then Chavez does it too? Disastrous results in all three... but even more disastrous is that the team lacks the management that can correct these things from happening again.

2. Relief Pitching. The pitching staff is worse than last year. Letting Oliver and Bradford go was ridiculous. Re-signing Mota after he was announced to be suspended for the first half of the season was even more ridiculous. Not signing any relief pitcher at the trade deadline and then watching Atlanta snatch up all of the talented relievers in the market was just poor. I was shaking my head back then, even before the recent 3-week long bullpen collapse. I say you have to start here. Relief pitching. Make it a priority.

3. Starting Pitching. Now Glavine has thoughts of returning to Atlanta? After seeing how big of a "money pitcher" he is in his last three outings and hearing his blase' press conference today, I say let him go. How about with the money the Mets will save on Glavine and other high priced flops this year, they go after a bona fide starter. Maybe 2.

4. Cut some guys loose and free up some roster spots. Tweak the offense a little. Paul LoDuca and Shawn Green are at the end of their contracts and they are overpriced. Let them go. Newhan and Schoeneweis can go too. Maybe orchestrate a trade with one of the "young guns" like Milledge, Humber or Gomez. Pick up a backup catcher and let Castro play full time. He deserves the chance. Have you seen the numbers he has put up, while playing only a quarter of the season??

5. Rickey Henderson is not a role model of a coach. I honestly don't know what to do with him. He was given this role, and very shortly after, Reyes' season went down the toilet. I think he's always been a "me" guy in a team game, and he can be a cancer to this team, especially to the young guys who are very impressionable. It is not about how many bases you can steal...it's about how you can positively impact your team with this 5th tool that many don't possess.

BaseballGM
09-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Brought back some memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDjG9XlsHqQ

dcrules01
09-30-2007, 10:17 PM
They were 34-19 on June 1st then 54-55 the rest of the way.The 1st 18 games in June they went 4-14..They lost 8 games in a row to the Phillies and were 6-12 overall.47-34 on the road 41-40 in our own building.14-14 in the month of Sept going 1-5 against the Nats and being swept at home against the Phillies.5-12 in there last 17.Either they hit and did not pitch or they pitched and did not hit.Billy Wagner was unhittable the 1st half no where to be found down the stretch.No leadership just we will get em tomorrow.I have faith in my guys.Conine was a waste Reyes attitude sucked the 2nd half laughing in the dugout today after making the 1st out in the 1st.Bad News Bears defense I could go on.But I am to depressed...:mad::(

dcrules01
09-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Oh yeah and Delgado's famous quote "We are so good we get bored"

TNTtoys
10-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Just got the standard letter from the Mets in my email... I couldn't agree more. We, the fans, deserved better!

Dear Mets Fan:

All of us at the Mets are bitterly disappointed in failing to achieve our collective goal of building upon last year's success. We did not meet our organization's expectations -- or yours. Everyone at Shea feels the same range of emotions as you -- our loyal fans -- and we know we have let you down. We wanted to thank you for your record-breaking support of our team this year.

Equally important, Ownership will continue its commitment in providing the resources necessary to field a championship team. Omar will be meeting with Ownership shortly to present his plan on addressing our shortcomings so that we can achieve our goal of winning championships in 2008 and beyond.

You deserve better results.

Many thanks again for your record-breaking support.

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/nym/images/newsletter/y2007/logo_mets_f48536_96x47.gif