PDA

View Full Version : Rickey Henderson Batting Glove

CardinalsFan
09-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Do any of you Rickey Henderson fans have an opinion on whether the glove listed in this auction is genuine or not? Thanks in advance.

CardinalsFan
09-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Sorry, here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220149269165&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220149269165&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012)

sportscentury
09-29-2007, 08:30 PM
I've owned over 40 pairs of Rickey's batting gloves, including several of this model. The model is correct. The autograph is real. Four things for you to consider are:

1) Rickey's number 24 (the number he wore for the A's when he wore this model batting glove) does not appear on the glove. He normally wrote his number 24 on the green padding on the outside of the glove in either black or navy blue marker.

2) California Numismatic Sports, the original seller, had a mixed reputation.

3) There is only a single glove, and normally Rickey wore these gloves on both hands.

4) Although there appear to be pine tar or dirt residue patterns on the finger tips and inner wrist, I do not see any pine tar staining on the inset of the glove (between the thumb and palm areas). This is unusual for Rickey's game used batting gloves from this era.

With these things in mind, the glove is the correct model and has a solid use, and has a terrific, full signature.

Hope this helps...
Reid

metsbats
09-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Back in the early to mid 90's California Numismatic Investments was a big dealer in GU memoribilia. They advertised in SCD and their back page ad was the place I usually looked at first when I got my weekly SCD. CNI, Ball Park Heroes, John Taube, Paul Kinzer, and Zane Burns were the big GU dealers at the time. They were mainly a Rare coins and gold dealer with a division that dealt in sports memoribilia. They have long since gotten out of the sport memoribilia business and are exclusively a coin and gold dealer.

-David

CardinalsFan
09-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the info!

jrd
10-02-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm far from being an expert and I only own one Game Used bating glove but just wanted to point out that the original receipt doesn't list the glove as being used. It just says AUTO. batting glove.

sportscentury
10-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Another thing that is odd is that the COA is dated 1/28/91. The autograph, though, looks as though it is yesterday fresh. I've owned tons of batting gloves (including several of this exact model), signed any number of different ways, and I've never seen an auto look this fresh after almost 17 years. Of course, COAs don't always stay with the items they were intended to accompany.

metsbats
10-03-2007, 05:58 AM
CNI always provided a LOA on their own letterhead when I used to purchase items from them. Seems odd this glove only came with the receipt but no mention of a LOA even existing.

David