PDA

View Full Version : Question about autograph authentication.

jon_8_us
09-28-2007, 08:34 PM
I know this post should probably be in the autograph forum but that doesn't get as much attention.I just bought a beautiful Randy Moss autograph from a legit local autograph hound and want to get it authenticated for possible resale.What is the best company to do so?I have seen some bad PSA/DNA stuff.I know next to nothing about JSA or GAI so any help would be much appreciated.
Jon

Signed at Josh Becketts bowling tournament:

33bird
09-28-2007, 09:33 PM
I just got an autographed card back from JSA. A rookie card signed by Dr. J, Larry Bird, and Magic Johnson. I had em' all signed at shows and all came with good coa's from the shows but I figured it would look better encapsulated and sell better too with extra authentication. I've always been a fan of James Spence. I know none of them are perfect, but I think he's one of the best. However, it did take a full two months to get back to me, when in their add it said 10-20 business days. Oh, and it only cost 34.00 total including shipping. Here's the scan of it unless it's too big.
Greg

big10champ
09-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Just my opinion, that is one of the worst Moss signatures I have ever seen. I have a UDA autographed Moss Rookie of the Year Jersey for comparision.

David
09-29-2007, 02:36 AM
No one's perfect, but JSA is reputable and generally well regarded. Spence used to be the head autograph authenticator for PSA/DNA.

earlywynnfan
09-29-2007, 03:08 AM
If you're going purely for resale value, go with Spence.

If you're getting it done because you want a respected, quality individual to give you his opinion, try Kevin Keating or Steven Koschal or Rich Altman.

Ken

jon_8_us
09-29-2007, 12:03 PM
If you're going purely for resale value, go with Spence.

If you're getting it done because you want a respected, quality individual to give you his opinion, try Kevin Keating or Steven Koschal or Rich Altman.

Ken
Thanks for the info.I'll probably look into the latter.
jon

jon_8_us
09-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Just my opinion, that is one of the worst Moss signatures I have ever seen. I have a UDA autographed Moss Rookie of the Year Jersey for comparision.

You must realize that during a superstar players career a lot of time the signatures shorten up as the demand for their autograph increases.I could site numerous examples but that would be uneccesary.Here is a more recent example of a Moss auto that comes from Mounted Memories.Matched my example a lot more than yours.Yours was probably signed 10 years ago.This example was within a year ago.And mine was signed two weeks ago.Makes sense right?
Jon

geoff
09-29-2007, 02:09 PM
JSA is the way to go.Jimmy and his son are very nice to deal with in person.

Good Luck.

Geoff

bigtruck260
09-29-2007, 05:17 PM
There is probably a member somewhere who know Randy's signature better than any of the afformentioned guys...someone who ONLY collects Moss, and has seen virtually every incaration of his signature. Really, that is the way to go.

BUT, the big guys have so much of a marketing push behind them, that they will always win a popularity contest. I don't use any of them anymore...I have had enough with spending hundereds of dollars on rejected items that I saw signed in front of me at card shows and other signings.

PSA quick opinion failed a Willie McGee bat that I had listed on eBay (for insurance purposes only) with a picture of him signing the actual bat - crack and all...they failed it at 2am....even more controversy.

jon_8_us
09-29-2007, 06:00 PM
JSA is the way to go.Jimmy and his son are very nice to deal with in person.

Good Luck.

Geoff

This is the way i have decided to go.While i have no doubt to its authenticity i may look to resell at some point becuase there is always i Manny bat i need to drum up paypal for.I think JSA is the best for resale value.Thanks guys!
Jon

earlywynnfan
09-29-2007, 10:59 PM
How can you go wrong with a guy who has 100,000 autographs in his collection, and not one -- NOT ONE! -- is bad!

Let's be honest in our assessments, here: Spence is better than the other 2 "biggies" (Global and PSA) because he seems to make less mistakes than them.

Jon, I honestly can't blame you. I collect for myself, but I'd be a fool not to keep an eye on what's best for resale value, too. I just have serious doubts about the hobby when someone like Altman, who was looking at Mantle autos when Jimmy was in diapers, has to get a JSA cert on his stuff so the sheep out there will think it's real!

Ken

PS: I was wrong in my earlier advice to you, by the way. This being a modern player, I don't know if Keating or Koschal would be the best to look at it; they're better at vintage. Same with Jim Stinson, another guy I would trust completely.

David
09-30-2007, 01:49 AM
If the buyer, seller and LOA writer all all knowledgeable and all three believe the autograph is authentic, then odds are it is. If there is something wrong, it's likely one of three with see it.

mvandor
09-30-2007, 07:32 AM
I know this post should probably be in the autograph forum but that doesn't get as much attention.I just bought a beautiful Randy Moss autograph from a legit local autograph hound and want to get it authenticated for possible resale.What is the best company to do so?I have seen some bad PSA/DNA stuff.I know next to nothing about JSA or GAI so any help would be much appreciated.
Jon

Signed at Josh Becketts bowling tournament:
In my experience PSA has the most recognizable name with the general buying public and will boost your resale value the most. However, it looks like a cut signature, it wouldn't be worth the money to pay to have a Moss cut sig authenticated, not enough value to drop $30+ to have it authenticated.

3arod13
09-30-2007, 08:02 AM
I just got an autographed card back from JSA. A rookie card signed by Dr. J, Larry Bird, and Magic Johnson. I had em' all signed at shows and all came with good coa's from the shows but I figured it would look better encapsulated and sell better too with extra authentication. I've always been a fan of James Spence. I know none of them are perfect, but I think he's one of the best. However, it did take a full two months to get back to me, when in their add it said 10-20 business days. Oh, and it only cost 34.00 total including shipping. Here's the scan of it unless it's too big.
Greg

Hey, weren't you (or did you already) going to sell this card?

33bird
09-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Nope, I still have it. No plans on selling it right now. It took me a couple years to put it together, and it's the only one I've ever seen with all three signatures on it.
Greg
biggamebird@yahoo.com

jon_8_us
09-30-2007, 11:02 AM
In my experience PSA has the most recognizable name with the general buying public and will boost your resale value the most. However, it looks like a cut signature, it wouldn't be worth the money to pay to have a Moss cut sig authenticated, not enough value to drop $30+ to have it authenticated.

It is a cut signature but the piece that it goes with is a 22x30 canvas print.In my mind getting it authenticated for possible resale is a must.
Jon