PDA

View Full Version : Orioles question 1988 memorial initials

Kid4hof03
09-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Hey O's collectors I just had a simple question. I recently acquired an O's jersey with the 1988 Memorial initials of the former owner on the sleeve. The jersey is tagged on the inside as 1987, I assume that the O's like so many other teams recycled from one year to the next. I was just curious to find out if my assumption was right and that this was a fairly common practice. Also, do these particular jerseys carry any premium because of the initials?

Thanks!
Abe
kulynychfamily@verizon.net

ironmanfan
09-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Orioles owner Edward Bennett Williams passed away on 08/13/88 and they did wear the initials EBW on their sleeve for the rest of the season & should be noted that they also wore this style jersey with the EBW initials during the 1989 Spring Training season before their new (somewhat current) style uniforms were introduced on Opening Day '89. It is very likely that the top you have, that is tagged 1987 may have been one that was used in '89 ST (they brought a lot of guys to camp that spring)...Being an Orioles collector, there may be a slight premium attached to tops with the EBW memorial patch, but it isn't much....Sometimes the spring training EBW jerseys had the NOB nameplate removed, however I have a '89 ST roster if anyone needs any help with IDing a jersey.

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

Kid4hof03
09-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Bill,
Thanks so much for the information! The jersey I have does have the nob removed so I guess that will narrow it to the 89 Spring jerseys. It is number 34 if you don't mind checking your roster.

Thanks!
Abe

ironmanfan
09-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Abe:

Pretty interesting story about #34. In ST (I told you they brought in a lot of guys) in '89, the Orioles found themselves with two pitchers by the name of Mike Smith (both right-handed). To differntiate the two players, the Orioles called one "Texas" Mike Smith and the other "Mississippi" Mike Smith. For awhile they even placed an outline of their respective state on the back of their jerseys. Yours (#34) is "Mississippi" Mike who didn't make the team that year although was traded to Pittsburgh for another pitcher, Dave Johnson who would make an impact with the club later that season.

By chance, is there any kind of state outline printed anywhere on this jersey? For what its worth, in '87 Jeff Ballard wore #34 (he had moved on to #29 by 1989).

Sometimes the background on the stuff you own is the best part.

Good Luck..

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

Kid4hof03
09-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Bill,
That is absolutely awesome stuff! Thanks so much. I don't have the jersey in front of me but will check it out when I sign off, I'll let you know in the morning if I find anything.

Again, thanks so much for the information, this is stuff I'd never be able to "find" no matter how much searching I did.

Abe

ironmanfan
09-27-2007, 10:35 PM
I should add that it's also possible that Ballard wore this in '88 as well, but was last worn by Mississippi Mike in the spring of '89.