PDA

View Full Version : Built a new set of racks.Pics

jon_8_us
09-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Used Cedar and Mahogany for this 13 bat wall rack.Took about an hour.
Jon

89ASMVPBats
09-27-2007, 05:28 PM
The rack is nice, but your Manny collection is awesome!

Drew

jon_8_us
09-27-2007, 06:51 PM
The rack is nice, but your Manny collection is awesome!

Drew
Thank you.A couple aren't pictured.A nice Manny collection but not were i want it to be.Bobby Texeira has the Manny collection i envy.....Sell me your Manny's people!
Jon

TFig27
09-27-2007, 08:41 PM
very nice job.

and please take that damon bat down and stop teasing me. i didnt win that auction but i am keeping my fingers crossed the buyer doesnt pay :p

worldchamps
09-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Are those all Manny bats? That is sweet. If they are all his, he really has not been consistent as far as tape jobs throughout his career, huh?

Nice rack

jon_8_us
09-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Are those all Manny bats? That is sweet. If they are all his, he really has not been consistent as far as tape jobs throughout his career, huh?

Nice rack

10 of them are Manny bats.Manny is not consistent with anything.Bats,autograph styles,etc.He has used many different kinds of bats with many different tape jobs.About the only thing you can count on being consistent on a Manny bat is left barell wear.He has been a strict label up hitter his whole career.Other than that do your homework.
Jon

Vintagedeputy
09-28-2007, 09:51 AM
jon - nice rack! (never thought I'd say that to a guy :) haha)

Do you think that the squared holes work better than rounded ones in holding the bat?

Jim

jon_8_us
09-28-2007, 09:52 AM
jon - nice rack! (never thought I'd say that to a guy :) haha)

Do you think that the squared holes work better than rounded ones in holding the bat?

Jim

To tell you the truth i don't know.The reason i use square holes is because they are easier to cut with a jigsaw.Sanding is the key to making these look nice!
Jon

Vintagedeputy
09-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Well it looks great.

You may want to be careful though. I see that baseboard heater below. The radiant heat from that could cause the wood to dry out and crack, or cause other problems.

Just a thought....

Jim

jon_8_us
09-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Well it looks great.

You may want to be careful though. I see that baseboard heater below. The radiant heat from that could cause the wood to dry out and crack, or cause other problems.

Just a thought....

Jim

Have you seen evidence of this causing a problem?I have heard about humidity causing problems but i live 20 miles out in the Atlantic ocean in a very wet climate and have not seen any problems with my bats because of it.
Jon

Vintagedeputy
09-28-2007, 10:31 AM
I havent seen evidence of it so much, but I'm going by a combination of science and my past life as a firefighter.

Ever see a house fire when the house is close to another house? There is a thing called radiant heat which goes through the air. It can cause siding to melt on the next house even though no fire has actually touched it. Now the heat from the baseboard isnt close to the temperature of a free burning fire, but increased heat on the barrell end will cause the wood to be subjected to more stress. There may be a stress crack in a bat or something that you can't see and the heat could cause warping, expansion, cracking etc.

Just be careful.

Jim

jon_8_us
09-28-2007, 04:54 PM
I havent seen evidence of it so much, but I'm going by a combination of science and my past life as a firefighter.

Ever see a house fire when the house is close to another house? There is a thing called radiant heat which goes through the air. It can cause siding to melt on the next house even though no fire has actually touched it. Now the heat from the baseboard isnt close to the temperature of a free burning fire, but increased heat on the barrell end will cause the wood to be subjected to more stress. There may be a stress crack in a bat or something that you can't see and the heat could cause warping, expansion, cracking etc.

Just be careful.

Jim

Thanks for the advice.I'll probably move the rack.
Jon

JasonHalliburton
10-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Jon,

What are the dimiensions between each cut? Trying to get my own built.:D

Jason

eGameUsed
10-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Jim and Jon,

Here are a few pics of my bat rack. I prefer the round with a 1/4 round bevel. Doesn't scare the bat or tape and they sit in very well.

Jason,

Center to Center on mine is 3.5"

Vintagedeputy
10-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Nice stuff!

jon_8_us
10-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Jon,

What are the dimiensions between each cut? Trying to get my own built.:D

Jason

Between each cut is 2 inches and each cut is 1 1/2 inches.
Jon

jon_8_us
10-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Jim and Jon,

Here are a few pics of my bat rack. I prefer the round with a 1/4 round bevel. Doesn't scare the bat or tape and they sit in very well.

Jason,

Center to Center on mine is 3.5"

That is well done!How did you get the circles cut?A router?
Jon

eGameUsed
10-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Jon,

My father and I did these together. We used a drill press to drill the holes every 3.5". We then used a router on all edges. The rack is supported around the walls using the studs in the room with small triangle shaped supports. At the time, the house was about 4 months old. Fortunately, the sheet rockers did a nice job so there are no gaps between the wall and the rack.

Thanks for the compliments!

JasonHalliburton
10-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks very much for the information guys! Should have mine done on Thursday...Will post pics when I have them completed.

JasonHalliburton
10-21-2007, 04:01 AM
I built one, going to build another one again Thursday. This one holds 10.

I appreciate the input on the dimensions. Thank you!

jon_8_us
10-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Great job!
Jon