PDA

View Full Version : Possible fake Carl Crawford Carolina Clubs on eBay....Opinions????

camarokids
09-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi , I see this Carl Crawford Carolina Clubs on ebay. The reason I am suspicious of the bat is the letter font for Crawford's name doesn't look right and is thicker than other Carolina Clubs I own and have seen .I think the name was placed there after the fact.....

Link to auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=290164052148&Category=60596

Here is a link to another Carolina Clubs Crawford just bought off ebay by forum member Bone Rubbed Bat , see the difference in the lettering. The letters font on the bat(link below) bought by BRB matches the Carolina Clubs Bats I own .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110173249610&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 110173249610%2509%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

camarokids
09-24-2007, 03:36 PM
After looking at both the auction pictures again and looking at my Carolina Clubs closer . I think what the problem could be is a bad picture . The bat in question, the close-up picture posted of the barrel looks blurred/out of focus . Which appears to be causing the letters to look fatter or bunched up closer .

Some better pictures would solve this question in an instant......

Birdbats
09-24-2007, 04:24 PM
I think your question is legit. I'm looking at four CC bats in front of me and the lettering is consistent with the natural bat, not the black one. The letters on my bats are more square and less condensed than the black bat in question. And even a short name like Chris Duncan (http://cgi.ebay.com/Chris-Duncan-Game-Used-Bat-St-Louis-Cardinals_W0QQitemZ200154492858QQihZ010QQcategoryZ 60596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) extends beyond the "made in the" below it. Longer names like Skip Schumaker (http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/Bats/Schumaker.jpg) and John Rodriguez aren't even close to fitting within the length of the words "made in the."

I guess it would be possible to fake a CC bat. The lettering appears to be simple stick-on letters. Of course, the bat is dipped in polyurethane after the letters are applied, so if letters were removed and replaced, it should be very apparent. The only way to do a good fake would be to use a bat that didn't have a name on the barrel, add one and then dip it in polyurethane.

I can't say whether the black bat on eBay is good or bad, but given the inconsistencies, I think it's fair to question it.

BoneRubbedBat
09-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Here is a photo of one of the black Carolina Clubs I had at one point.

BoneRubbedBat
09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Top photo: A bat I used to own.
Middle: The bat I just got off E-bay.
Bottom: The bat in question.

Hmmm.....

camarokids
09-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Nice Crawford Collection you have there Bone Rubbed Bat ! Thanks for posting the pictures .

Here is a picture of the six Carolina Clubs in my collection......

I am really starting to think there is something wrong with the bat in question (The black Carl Crawford Carolina Club currently on ebay)......

After my initial posting of the thread I thought maybe the picture was playing with my mind , but now I think the letter font is wrong .......

The next question is whether or not the bat was altered?????

earlywynnfan
09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
What did Mike (the seller) say when you asked him about it? I've been swapping bats with him for years, and he's as stand-up as they come. He'll tell you exactly where he got it, for sure.

I agree that I've never seen a font like that on my several Clubs bats.

Q: Do they sell blank CC bats? On the ones I have, the lettering is under the finish. Although it's hard to tell from photos, you might want to ask him if these letters are also under the finish.

Ken

earlywynnfan
09-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Say, Camaro, looking at your bats, I guess I don't see much difference between the Crawford and your russ johnson.

Ken

camarokids
09-24-2007, 07:58 PM
What did Mike (the seller) say when you asked him about it? I've been swapping bats with him for years, and he's as stand-up as they come. He'll tell you exactly where he got it, for sure.

I agree that I've never seen a font like that on my several Clubs bats.

Q: Do they sell blank CC bats? On the ones I have, the lettering is under the finish. Although it's hard to tell from photos, you might want to ask him if these letters are also under the finish.

Ken

Hi , I haven't contacted the seller yet . I am waiting to hear opinions on whether or not the item should be questioned . I asked about the bat in the form of a question and am not accusing anyone of wrong doing . The seller may not even know that there could be a problem w/ the bat ......

Since you know him, could you contact him on behalf of forum members and ask for better pictures and about the bat? Thank you !

earlywynnfan
09-28-2007, 11:51 PM
He is out of town, but replied that he got this bat from a collector in FL whom he has purchased many bats. He was puzzled by the font question, since he didn't think anything was wrong with it. He said he would email me when he got home, but hasn't yet.

For what it's worth, I'd like to say the bat it total junk and everyone should stay away. Of course, that's only because I'm currently the high bidder.

ken

camarokids
10-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I hope it is the real deal for your sake , I see you won the bat . Please post better pics after receiving . Thanks