PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey Jr. GU Bat...

toddhead
09-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Did anyone here watch the Cubs vs. Reds last night on ESPN. Late in the game Griffey was walking into his dugout after an at-bat and there was a young boy sitting with his family direclty behind the dugout in a Reds jesey. As Griffey was walking up the boy was taking a picture and didn't notice that Griffey had slid him his bat. The boy finally looked down and was just in total shock. I have to say that I've always been a Griffey fan, but that move really blew me away. That is something that boy and his family will never forget... he's a class act.

gr8soxfan
09-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Did anyone here watch the Cubs vs. Reds last night on ESPN. Late in the game Griffey was walking into his dugout after an at-bat and there was a young boy sitting with his family direclty behind the dugout in a Reds jesey. As Griffey was walking up the boy was taking a picture and didn't notice that Griffey had slid him his bat. The boy finally looked down and was just in total shock. I have to say that I've always been a Griffey fan, but that move really blew me away. That is something that boy and his family will never forget... he's a class act.
He finally does something good. Griffey is another tool about time he does something nice

whatupyos
09-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Griffey a class act???? Since when did this happen?? Agreed that he's a tool. When I was a young kid it was in spring training as I've told before. It was a rain delay and there were about 10 kids standing by the dugout. He wouldn't come over and sign for anything...Jay Buhner was talking with us saying, yeah, you know how he is. Jay was trying to get Griffey to sign and he wouldnt even give us the time of day. Complete jerk!!!!

OaklandAsFan
09-21-2007, 01:31 AM
look what it got him he just went down for the season with a groin injury so much for good Karma. ;)

Garrett Anderson did something similar a few years ago during spring training in Tempe. he didn't sign any autographs coming off the field but he gave his bat to some kid.

whatupyos
09-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Some of these players need to remember what it was like when they were a kid!!

OaklandAsFan
09-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Are you referring to Jr who grew up playing in the clubhouse and the lockers of the big red machine??? Players like Jr and Barroid Bonds are so out of touch with society because of the way they were brought up its no wonder how they act now.

whatupyos
09-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Yes, Oakland A's fan, you are correct. They were privilaged enought to grow up around ball, not like many others, so they should respect the game and fans. Instead they let it go to their head and inflate their ego!! Its a shame some stars have the I take care of me mentality. Embrace the game, and the game will embrace you. Some stars I respected as a kid and even today...Cali Ripken Jr. (lucky enough to get his signiture when he was on his 2131 tour and would sign for hours), Mark McGwire who used to sign in the parking lot after every A's home game when I was a kid, Tony Gwynn always was a model citizen. There are many more out there those are just the three that stick out in my mind as being model citizens to the game and sport.

OaklandAsFan
09-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Ya know we may have known each other ;) I remember fondly the day of the late 80's when Big Mac would come out to the players lot under the BART bridge carrying presigned cards and throwing game used cleats, bats and batting gloves over the fence to all of us waiting kids (I had a pair of game used cleats and a batting glove I caught back in those days)

I got Cal to sign a card WAAAAAAAAY back back in 87 or 88 at an Orioles, A's game but that card was ultimately stolen in the mid 90's I then was lucky enough to get Cal to sign another card for me during his farewell tour on the last game he played in Oakland he signed for a good 2 hours afterwards.
You are correct Tony Gwynn was another great signer, when the Pads came to play in Oakland a few years back he signed for quite awhile after BP even telling everyone to stop crowding the dugout where people were getting crushed and making people get into an organized line before continuing to sign.
Jason Giambi is another one that comes to mind, in his A's days he would sign for everyone who wanted his signature after BP, on the way to the dugout before the game and afterwards in the parking lot. When he would drive his Lamborghini to the stadium he would even walk up to the top of the lot they currectly park in and sign for everyone so they wouldnt have to crowd around his Lamborghini and risk scratching it.