PDA

View Full Version : ABA Nets jersey

topekabob
09-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Fellow jersey Afficianados:

Take a look at this recently completed auction on ebay:

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130146235900&rd=1#la-image-2

It sort of shocked me. A New York Nets jersey with no manufacturer tags and a name AND number change, goes for over $4000! (the description was funny. Other than the name and number change, it says, no other changes! well that's good...)

Is it really worth $4200 or was that just a weird auction? I know, I know, "it's worth what people will pay for it," but that just seemed wild for a rather questionable jersey. Am I wrong or does that seem about right for this jersey?

Bob

both-teams-played-hard
09-19-2007, 01:12 AM
$4,200 was a very high price. Especially since a Red Robbins Kentucky Colonels Warm Up just sold at GFC's auction for less than $400 (wish I'd bid).
This Nets jersey is the same manufacturer (Rawlings) and knit material as the Nets Dr. J that sold for $120,000 last summer from GFC. The NOB and numerals have an extremely "matchable" font. I am not making any accusations, just keep your eyes peeled for any ABA Nets #32s being introduced at auction by ANYONE.

otismalibu
09-19-2007, 08:32 AM
The two different sized 3 make it pretty easy to photo match :)

I know I had some footage of Jones wearing this jersey at one time. Perhaps game 6 of the 1976 ABA finals???

http://bermansports.com/images/500-drj269.jpg

Eric
09-19-2007, 11:34 AM
The auction description says "Includes a videotape of the final Game Six of the 1976 Nets vs Nuggets ABA championship, a video match of this jersey worn in the last game, last shot, last basket ever scored in the ABA."

I'm guessing that explains the high price

topekabob
09-19-2007, 10:43 PM
I see what you mean with the photo match. You're right, that must be it.
The "sureness" of the authenticity seems to have driven up the price.
Thanks guys!
Bob

both-teams-played-hard
09-19-2007, 11:06 PM
I did not notice the "33" variation. I was not aware of the historical significance. I stand corrected, the price was right. I have an excuse. I hardly read item descriptions from Grey Flannel, AMI and the like. They are mostly filled with useless drivel that is rarely a detail about the jersey itself (Jordan is considered to be the greatest ever, etc.) From now on, I will read descriptions thoroughly before commenting.
Otis- nice job with the "photo-match".