PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter Game Used Fielding Glove on eBay! Is it real ???

camarokids
09-16-2007, 09:33 PM
The reason I suspect the glove for on the inside pinky it says "The Finest In The Field " with a R trademark circle . On the pro Rawlings Gloves I have is says "For The Professional Player" instead . What do you all think ? The stitching is pretty white as well???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150162215358&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D %2B150162215358%2509%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

cjclong
09-17-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm interested in this too. If someone who knows gloves would look at it and give their opinion I'd like to hear it. After the article about Ripken gloves it makes me somewhat wary.

3arod13
09-17-2007, 11:46 AM
there are many pics on gettyimages with Jeter wearing a glove exactly like this. I believe it may be an authentic glove, but I doubt Jeter used it.

Carlevv
09-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Jeters gloves show use on the back of the fingers from rubbing on the infield dirt. The back of the fingers on that glove have no wear on them. Im not sure Derek ever used the glove. I dont know if it is a real game model but it looks like one. Once again, gloves are a tough call because of the money it takes to own one. At this point if i dont know the person im buying a glove from i want no part of it. Thats just me.

camarokids
09-17-2007, 07:23 PM
The quality of the silver foil ink stamp doesn't look top notch . Also , I believe I heard only the pro's get the best leather . Both of the game used gloves I have that are Rawlings have "For The Professional Player" (mentioned earlier). Also in the pocket of the glove , one has "Heart of The Hide" and the "Pro Preferred" . The stamping and font on the inside pinky does not look like the top notch quality work of a glove made for a Professional MLB player.The white thread in "Derek Jeter" looks bright white and new ....

Any opinions???

I am looking for my son's Rawlings glove to see what is stamped on it . I'll be back....

camarokids
09-18-2007, 01:37 PM
I finally found my son's glove. Now if I wasn't looking for it , I would've tripped on it twice and picked it up and put it away a few more times .

Well guess what ? It has "Finest in The Field" on the pinky , just like the Jeter glove .

camarokids
09-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Here's a pic of Steiner Sports Derek Jeter Pro Model offered on ebay.
NOTE: Has "For The Professional Player" on the inside pinky instead of The "Finest on the Field" as the one on ebay ....
Anybody have any thoughts??????

RobSteinmetz
09-18-2007, 10:01 PM
The model of the glove on eBay is RBGDJ2. The first three letters stand for Rawlings Baseball Glove, which is found on lower end model gloves produced by Rawlings. This is not the model of the glove Jeter would use. While it might physically resemble a Jeter gamer, it's not even close in quality. This is likely a glove ordered by Steiner for a mass produced signed item and later made up to resemble a game used Jeter glove.

3arod13
09-19-2007, 06:09 AM
This is why I don't care for Ebay changing their format where you can't contact bidder when you see them bidding on something that's not authentic. Feel sorry for the winner.

As always, those in this forum are knowledgeable and have a sharp eye!

Great job!

camarokids
09-19-2007, 07:55 AM
"HI , I have reasons to believe the glove you are selling is not a Pro Model/Pro Issued glove . If it were a pro model , on the inside pinky , it would say "For The Professional Player" . Instead it has "Finest In The Field" . The glove is a retail glove , made to look like a Jeter game model .
Thank you "

I just sent the above response to the seller. Let you know if I get a response....

kingjammy24
09-19-2007, 11:51 AM
to add a little bit to what rob steinmetz said, if you'll go to the rawlings website you'll notice that their lowest-end gloves have the RBG code. the highest-end gloves have the PRO code. jeter's model from the "Heart of the Hide" line would be PRO-DJ2. most of the game-used rawlings gloves i've seen have been from either the Pro Preferred, Heart of the Hide, or Pro Preferred lines. All 3 of those lines are considered the high-end lines and have codes that begin with "PRO". it's tough to imagine that jeter would use a model from one of the lowest-end lines.

that said, i noticed this entry on auctionreport.com, detailing a lot in Mastro's August 13 auction.

"Derek Jeter New York Yankees Game Used Mitt
This black leather right-handed fielder's tool features a "Rawlings" manufacturer's label sewn to the fur-lined wrist backing and the glove giant's trademark "R' logo sewn just to the right. On the thumb's outer portion, "Derek Jeter" is embroidered in white cursive characters. An "RBGDJ2 - 11-1/2 INCH" model, the glove shows light use. LOA from Dave Bushing & Troy Kinunen/MEARS. Minimum bid $1,000."

rudy.

gamebatsports
09-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey Guys,

I am the seller of this glove. Thanks for everyone who dropped me a line to alert me to its authenticity. I have taken down the auction. I have only dealt with bats over the past 10 years, so my expertise on gloves is limited. I appreciate not only everyone's willingness to share with me their thoughts on the glove but also thier patience before jumping to conclusions regarding my intentions. I am glad that we have such a great community that we can all watch out for each other in this way. I am committed, like all of us, to having a safe forum for discussion and exchange, I am glad that, thanks to your dillegence, I was made aware of a spurious piece - which I had thought was authentic - and was able to end the auction before a transaction was made. You saved a lot of headaches for me and for a potential buyer. Keep up the good work forum.

-Zak

3arod13
09-20-2007, 04:25 AM
Hey Guys,

I am the seller of this glove. Thanks for everyone who dropped me a line to alert me to its authenticity. I have taken down the auction. I have only dealt with bats over the past 10 years, so my expertise on gloves is limited. I appreciate not only everyone's willingness to share with me their thoughts on the glove but also thier patience before jumping to conclusions regarding my intentions. I am glad that we have such a great community that we can all watch out for each other in this way. I am committed, like all of us, to having a safe forum for discussion and exchange, I am glad that, thanks to your dillegence, I was made aware of a spurious piece - which I had thought was authentic - and was able to end the auction before a transaction was made. You saved a lot of headaches for me and for a potential buyer. Keep up the good work forum.

-Zak

Kudos Gamebatsports! Many would still continue to sell and ignore the warnings. It's nice to see someone more concerned about doing the right thing, than being more concerned about the almighty dollar.

Kudos to all forum members...another superb job!

Well done to all!

Regards, Tony

ChrisCavalier
09-20-2007, 04:29 AM
Kudos Gamebatsports! Many would still continue to sell and ignore the warnings. It's nice to see someone more concerned about doing the right thing, than being more concerned about the almighty dollar.

Kudos to all forum members...another superb job!

Well done to all!

Regards, Tony
Agreed!

-Chris

camarokids
09-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Hey Guys,

-Zak

Thanks a lot for having class and pulling the auction . I hope you can return the glove to wherever you received it so you can get your money back .

cjclong
09-20-2007, 02:01 PM
All of us appreciate your honesty. You are the kind of seller we need in this hobby. Thanks I was one of those viewers who was interested in the glove. This is one of those times that shows how this forum helps those of us who are still less knowledgeable about game used items than some of the other members. We learn new things every day.

JCC1968
09-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Guys

Have bought several things from Zak he is a great guy and very stand up. If you have any questions about anything he takes the item back no questions. Zak is solid!!!!

Jason in Sarasota!

Carlevv
09-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Who is Zak? Does he have a store or a buisiness? Thanks.

gamebatsports
09-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I collect and sell some things here and there...no store or business. But I always have new things I need to move. Email me at zak@brring.com if you ever need somethinG!