PDA

View Full Version : Chipper Jones game worn jersey in American Memorabilia

kylehess10
09-15-2007, 01:08 PM
American Memorabilia has a Chipper Jones game worn 2004 jersey in their current auction:

http://americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=38484

This jersey has the inscription of "game used 2004". This appears odd to me since Chipper has never had a game used contract with any company, so Chipper must've been paid to write this(?). Opinions? This reminds me of that post about a year ago on here when Radtke Sports were selling fake Chipper, Andruw, & Francoeur game worn jerseys with "game used 2005" inscriptions. They had signings with them and had them write the game used inscriptions on the jerseys when the font was completely wrong. I'm not saying that this Chipper jersey in AM is fake, but just interesting since he never had a game used contract.

kellsox
09-15-2007, 02:29 PM
you dont need a contract to inscribe "game used" on an item.

skipcareyisfat
09-15-2007, 04:00 PM
kyle, do you really think a player has to be under contract to sign something "game used"? they can do whatever they want. most of these guys don't have a clue nor do they care about whether or not something's actually been worn. andruw jones is among the worst of the bunch when it comes to that. chipper probably isn't much better. i wouldn't trust anything signed "game used" by andruw unless i saw him use it myself or had a picture of him using it, especially if it came from asi, esm or whatever co. he's working with. and that's just based on what i've heard from people close to him around here, not on that brian guy's recent comments. second, according to radke, those "fake" shirts you're all over him about came directly from the braves.

kylehess10
09-15-2007, 05:34 PM
kyle, do you really think a player has to be under contract to sign something "game used"?

Actually I thought they did have to have a contract to sign "game used" since I hear so many stories about rejections of inscriptions like that when fans ask players.

Andruw jones is among the worst of the bunch when it comes to that.

Andruw should be an exception to that being that he's been under contract with ASI for years. I only see his game used inscriptions on items that come with ASI LOA's, and ofcoarse Andruw has all his equipment given directly to them. If Andruw knew for a fact that he used it and it came from his possession, then I'm comfortable buying it.

Chipper probably isn't much better
This is actually the second piece of Chipper memorabilia that I've seen with the "game used" inscription (the other being on the Radtke jersey)

second, according to radke, those "fake" shirts you're all over him about came directly from the braves.

The fonts on all the jerseys were block when the Braves had arched font in 2005. If the jersey's were real, then there was no way they were from 2005 as stated and inscribed by the players with.

kellsox
09-15-2007, 05:53 PM
kyle, do you really think a player has to be under contract to sign something "game used"? they can do whatever they want. most of these guys don't have a clue nor do they care about whether or not something's actually been worn.

I agree, because a player has a contract/agreement with a company doesn't always mean that the bat/jeresey/etc...saw game use. It only means it came from the player. I envision a player having an agreement with a company and getting paid x amount of dollars per bat. i'm sure in a lot of cases they bring whatever they can get their hands on to give to the company- whether it was used in a game, BP, cage, or by another player.
kelly

radtke
11-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Actually I thought they did have to have a contract to sign "game used" since I hear so many stories about rejections of inscriptions like that when fans ask players.

Andruw should be an exception to that being that he's been under contract with ASI for years. I only see his game used inscriptions on items that come with ASI LOA's, and ofcoarse Andruw has all his equipment given directly to them. If Andruw knew for a fact that he used it and it came from his possession, then I'm comfortable buying it.

This is actually the second piece of Chipper memorabilia that I've seen with the "game used" inscription (the other being on the Radtke jersey)

The fonts on all the jerseys were block when the Braves had arched font in 2005. If the jersey's were real, then there was no way they were from 2005 as stated and inscribed by the players with.

Hey Kyle,

Just so you know. The Braves sold us those jerseys. We had the players add the inscriptions because we thought they were real. THEY CAME DIRECTLY FROM THE BRAVES. So, attack the organization that produces them. We pulled them immediately from our site, what more would you have wanted us to do?

skipcareyisfat
11-08-2007, 11:28 AM
I saw the list of the '07 g/u and g/i jerseys the Braves are selling. (Of the 300+ on it, only about 20 are MLB authenticated.) Interestingly, the most jerseys available in any one style for a single player was three. Although this list was released yesterday so who knows how many early season shirts never made it on there. Given the number of Chipper, Andruw and Smoltz jerseys for sale at any one point, I figured they'd have more. They also apparently wore a lot of Cool Base jerseys. Given that the nameplates no longer feature that nice arched font, the bottom line though is that it's going to be tougher to tell the "good" gamers from the "mistakes," like the ones that were sold to Radtke.

radtke
11-09-2007, 02:28 PM
I saw the list of the '07 g/u and g/i jerseys the Braves are selling. (Of the 300+ on it, only about 20 are MLB authenticated.) Interestingly, the most jerseys available in any one style for a single player was three. Although this list was released yesterday so who knows how many early season shirts never made it on there. Given the number of Chipper, Andruw and Smoltz jerseys for sale at any one point, I figured they'd have more. They also apparently wore a lot of Cool Base jerseys. Given that the nameplates no longer feature that nice arched font, the bottom line though is that it's going to be tougher to tell the "good" gamers from the "mistakes," like the ones that were sold to Radtke.

I just wonder how many jerseys were sold by the Braves that were not real over the years or were just game issues. Maybe, that is why the Braves stopped issuing team letters on their game used stuff.

skipcareyisfat
11-09-2007, 05:10 PM
I just wonder how many jerseys were sold by the Braves that were not real over the years or were just game issues. Maybe, that is why the Braves stopped issuing team letters on their game used stuff.

We'll never know. Which is why I'm more likely to go after one that's been MLB authenticated. A few years ago, the Braves sold a load of game issued jerseys (from 2002 and 2003, I think) for about $80 each at their winter fan fest at Turner. The only things separating those jerseys from "used" ones were a washer and dryer. Smoltz, Chipper, Maddux, Glavine, Andruw, etc. were all there. No LOAs were provided at the sale if I remember correctly.

BergerKing22784
11-09-2007, 09:14 PM
I have heard all of this bad stuff about ASI and Andruw Jones and what not. I pick up game used items of Andruw and my BP jersey and cleats both come from ASI both have game use.... Just wondering how concerned I should be. My game used batting glove is from Steiner............

Cleats: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160174095324&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006

should I be concerned with these?

Thanks,
Brian