PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Harrison GU Helmet

beantown
09-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Thoughts anyone?
http://cgi.ebay.com/MARVIN-HARRISON-COLTS-GAME-USED-WORN-HELMET_W0QQitemZ130153795403QQihZ003QQcategoryZ868 28QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

RKGIBSON
09-15-2007, 09:16 AM
This may be the helmet that sold at Super Bowl XL. I believe I saw this helmet for sale about a year ago and emailed the guy and ask about the history. At that time he did not say that is where it came from either until ask.

Roger

mvandor
09-15-2007, 09:20 AM
As I've learned from aeneas, these modern helmets are just too easy to knockoff. Nothing on that helmet is tough to replicate, plus the lack of a chinstrap red flags me. From that one shot it looks as though he might be wearing a Riddell chinstrap with the name in blue, which would require a large order from Riddell of these straps (although RealStuff Sports does have and use them on their replications). That may be why the strap was left off.

Absent clear provenance back to the team, no way I'd treat it as anything more than an unsigned copy someone banged up without proof.

Learn from my mistakes. :)

mvandor
09-15-2007, 09:28 AM
As I've learned from aeneas, these modern helmets are just too easy to knockoff. Nothing on that helmet is tough to replicate, plus the lack of a chinstrap red flags me. From that one shot it looks as though he might be wearing a Riddell chinstrap with the name in blue, which would require a large order from Riddell of these straps (although RealStuff Sports does have and use them on their replications). That may be why the strap was left off.

Absent clear provenance back to the team, no way I'd treat it as anything more than an unsigned copy someone banged up without proof.

Learn from my mistakes. :)
See http://cgi.ebay.com/INDIANAPOLIS-COLTS-Game-Football-Helmet-MARVIN-HARRISON_W0QQitemZ230167682437QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3 7693QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for a close knockoff, if the easy to obtain rear bumper decal was added you'd have a close match to the alleged game used helmet.

Not saying it couldn't be real, but plopping $2 grand down for it without solid proof would be a huge risk IMHO.

mvandor
09-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Seller's response to my inquiry:

This item came from a teammate of Marvin's. We know some of the players personally and were able to reach out through a teammate to obtain this amazing piece. We also obtained his game worn uniform (jerseys and pants). The use on this piece is unmistakably real.

Thank You for your inquiry,
AUTHENTICSPORTS

kingjammy24
09-15-2007, 03:51 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=9524

specifically post #7.

the name steve misturini / authentic sports would be enough to send me running in the opposite direction.

rudy.

mvandor
09-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Additional response to my pressing for provenance:

I can't imagine someone being able to replicate such an item in the condition it currently exists. We do not have a letter for this particular piece. Most players are uncomfortable writing letters fearing repercussions from the team staff. Team management of most teams frown on players giving out equipment. It may be possible to still obtain a letter, although we did receive this quite a while ago. I will contact the player responsible and ask. Unfortunately I cannot make any promises.

Thank You,
AUTHENTICSPORTS

aeneas01
09-17-2007, 11:50 PM
i contacted the seller and asked for the date code found inside the helmet which he located and emailed to me. based on this code i was able to determine that the lid was manufactured in january of 2000 and is a size large.

does harrison wear a size large lid? i don't know. at least the manufacturing date doesn't seem to be a problem. yet, having said this, i doubt it's too difficult for someone to get their hands on a post 1995 impregnated white schutt helmet.

one thing i did notice when i looked at the helmet listed on ebay was that it has been painted - can someone find a photo of harrison wearing a painted helmet during the 2002 season?

anyway, i certainly wouldn't pay "authentic game used" dollars for this lid - not in a million years...

harrison - 2002

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/73143422.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABBA23C09B608A958C6