PDA

View Full Version : Will Arod Be a Yankee Next Year?

3arod13
09-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Do you think Arod will be back next year as a Yankee?

Here's my take on it. Arod should come back as a Yankee. Now that all of the drama is behind him, the media bashing him, and fans bashing him, I believe staying in NY is the best thing for all. I also believe, because how he played in the post season in NY, he shouldn't be greedy and demand much more money. He should work out a deal that makes it fair for all.

If Arod elects to go somewhere else mainly for more money (with a team that will pay him more, but aren't that good of a team), then I lose a lot of respect for him. He's making plenty of money...he says he wants to be a Yankee...he says his main goal is to win a WS as a Yankee. Hopefully, that will happen this year (yes it will BOSOX fans). He will show his true colors and what's really important to him if he opts out for more money.

Just my thoughts!

Yankwood
09-13-2007, 10:05 AM
It all depends upon the post season. He can hit 65 homers this year and drive in 160 runs, but if he has another dismal playoff and the Yankees bow out early, I think they'll let him walk. If he turns things around and plays like he has all season, nobody has the money to match the Yankees and he stays. This is the word of Yankwood....so be it.

toddhead
09-13-2007, 10:49 AM
I don't think there is anyway he will be a Yankee next year. My money is on the Angels, but I hope he goes with the Cubs. The bashing of ARod hasn't stopped... more like paused. Like the previous poster said, as soon as he has a bad game in the playoffs, he's back to OverpaidRod, or whatever stupid thing they come up woth. I think people forget how bad he was embarrassed last year when they made him bat 8th. That's not something you forget... it just isn't. Also, he will never be the most popular player on the Yankees. Jeter has that until the day he retires. If he was to go to the Cubs or Angels... he's the man. There are so many negative things that surround him staying in NY that I can't possibly see him doing it.

The Cubs will have plenty of new money to spend once they get a new owner... hopefully Mark Cuban... can you tell I'm a Cubs fan?

camarokids
09-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't think there is anyway he will be a Yankee next year. My money is on the Angels, but I hope he goes with the Cubs. The bashing of ARod hasn't stopped... more like paused. Like the previous poster said, as soon as he has a bad game in the playoffs, he's back to OverpaidRod, or whatever stupid thing they come up woth. I think people forget how bad he was embarrassed last year when they made him bat 8th. That's not something you forget... it just isn't. Also, he will never be the most popular player on the Yankees. Jeter has that until the day he retires. If he was to go to the Cubs or Angels... he's the man. There are so many negative things that surround him staying in NY that I can't possibly see him doing it.

The Cubs will have plenty of new money to spend once they get a new owner... hopefully Mark Cuban... can you tell I'm a Cubs fan?

The same Mark Cuban who in an interview explains how the internet is DEAD ? After, of course he made his fortune off the same internet.....

Yankeefan01
09-13-2007, 10:58 AM
I think that if he is concerned with winning, then he will stay a Yankee. As for his contract, if he remains a Yankee, the current one will remain in place and the Yankees will sweeten it by adding an extension. This way the Yankees will still keep the Rangers on the hoof for whatever millions they have to pay in the trade.

Personally, I think he walks. I say this because earlier in the year, sometime in July or August I believe, my cousin who is a Yankee fan saw some games in Cleveland and then a few more in Toronto. He told me that he never saw A-Rod ride the team bus back to the Hotel with the rest of the team. Jeter, Giambi, Clemens all rode the bus. A-Rod had a car take him away. That tells me that things aren't rolling as smooth they look.

If he's not playing for the Yankees, I hope the Cubs get him. My son is a huge Cubs fan and is keeping his fingers crossed. Same with Cuban buying the team. Don't think that'll happen though as the stuffy MLB owners don't want a guy like him in their fraternity. He's too much a fan like us.

3arod13
09-13-2007, 11:08 AM

I agree that the Media and Yankee Fans crapped on Arod enough to the point where it would piss anyone off enought to where you would hold a grudge.

However, you have to be smart. New York is the place to be. Haven't won a world series lately, but it's coming. Arod has shown what he can do in New York. Whether it's Arod or someone else, that's just New York.

I hope he stays!

bigtime59
09-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Do you think Arod will be back next year as a Yankee?

Here's my take on it. Arod should come back as a Yankee. Now that all of the drama is behind him, the media bashing him, and fans bashing him, I believe staying in NY is the best thing for all. I also believe, because how he played in the post season in NY, he shouldn't be greedy and demand much more money. He should work out a deal that makes it fair for all.

If Arod elects to go somewhere else mainly for more money (with a team that will pay him more, but aren't that good of a team), then I lose a lot of respect for him. He's making plenty of money...he says he wants to be a Yankee...he says his main goal is to win a WS as a Yankee. Hopefully, that will happen this year (yes it will BOSOX fans). He will show his true colors and what's really important to him if he opts out for more money.

Just my thoughts!

Re the part bolded and in blue:
Wish-ful Think-ing (clap clap clapclapclap)
(And, post-2004, I hate the Red $ox [or, at least their bandwagoneering fans] vastly more than I hate the Yankee$!)

The Rangers and I are hoping that Miss Pay Rod takes her show to either the West Coast or the Cubs next season. There's no way she stays in the AL East, which quashes any thought of her going to the Red $ox.
She's not leaving Hiroshima to take up residence in Nagasaki!

TNTtoys
09-13-2007, 11:33 AM
He will show his true colors and what's really important to him if he opts out for more money.

We know he will opt out of his current contract for more money... even if he stays in NY, he will likely be opting out of his contract... to get a brand new, long term one!

Come on guys, who out there can possibly pay as much as the Yankees?

Secondly, could the Yankees possibly afford to let him go? Who will play third base full time? Who will hit for power? Without A-Rod, there is a gaping hole left, and there is nobody in my mind that can fill it. The Yankees will go from a team on the cusp of a championship to one of the pack in no time.

My take -- he will remain a Yankee, and his decision to opt out of his contract in turn for a larger, more lucrative contract with the same team will show his true colors quite well.

3arod13
09-13-2007, 11:38 AM
If he goes somewhere else, do you think he'll stay at 3rd or move back to SS?

Vintagedeputy
09-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Arod will retire as a Yankee

chicagoglen
09-13-2007, 11:50 AM
I have know idea where he will be next year but I know where I want to see him.........

Starting Short Stop on the South Side of Chicago!!!

Common Reinsdorf buck up $$$$$$$$$!

I know Reisdorf has committed to spending so I can only hope.

Yankeefan01
09-13-2007, 12:50 PM
If he goes somewhere else, do you think he'll stay at 3rd or move back to SS?

If he goes to the Cubbies you know he'll be back at SS.

mr.miracle
09-13-2007, 12:59 PM
The word I am hearing in relation to ARod going to Chicago is that it is not going to happen. The reason being, the Cubs are in the midst of an ownership change that may or may not be resolved prior to the start of next season with most bets being that this will not be resolved until sometime around the middle of next year at the earliest. With the kind of money that the Cubbies have just spent on Soriano and Zambrano as well as Derek Lee and Jason Kendell's current contracts, the Cubs have four players currently over $10 million each per season. I am not sure how long those current contracts run in fact I think Lee's is done at the end of this season but the fact remains that the Cubs were just under $100 million this year. With a new owner looking to come on board at some point it would be difficult to justify paying a player $30 million when that is nearly 1/3rd of your total payroll wrapped up in your current teams payroll. This would increase their payroll by 30% over its current level which even for the Cubs seems a bit extreme.

Word is that the same is true in the other places ARod has been mentioned to go. The Angels have just short of a $110 million payroll this year and the Red Sox have a whopping $143 million payroll. Unless either of these teams dump some payroll they are going to be hard pressed to increase payroll by over 25% in the case of the Angels and over 20% in the case of the Red Sox. In fact, that would bring the Sox up to a whopping $170 plus million which from what I have heard is completely out of range for them or at least what they are willing to spend. The sox have a great fan base but when you are only able to pack 38,000 fans in your ballpark every night as opposed to New York which can put 17,000 more fans per game in the stadium, not to mention the increased revenue from television rights in the Big Apple, it seems pretty logical that NY is about the only place that can afford ARod.

Even though ARod will always play second banana to Jeter in NY, if I was him I would suck it up and stay. If he is concerned about legacy, why leave the one place you are pretty much guarenteed to at least make the playoffs and get a shot at a world championship? You will always have great protection in the lineup with their monster lineup that they field, you are in the center of the media mecca of the world and best of all you get to end your career playing for the most hallowed sports franchise in history. ARod needs to think about what hat he wants on his HOF plaque. Personally I would opt to stay but then again, I am not in his shoes. Of course all of this is ultimately a play to obtain an even richer contract so we will see what happens.

3arod13
09-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Even though ARod will always play second banana to Jeter in NY, if I was him I would suck it up and stay. If he is concerned about legacy, why leave the one place you are pretty much guarenteed to at least make the playoffs and get a shot at a world championship? You will always have great protection in the lineup with their monster lineup that they field, you are in the center of the media mecca of the world and best of all you get to end your career playing for the most hallowed sports franchise in history. ARod needs to think about what hat he wants on his HOF plaque.

Well said. These are the reason why he should stay in NY! If he opts out for more money, then everything people say about Arod being all about the money is true.

JETEFAN
09-13-2007, 03:18 PM
I think that if he is concerned with winning, then he will stay a Yankee. As for his contract, if he remains a Yankee, the current one will remain in place and the Yankees will sweeten it by adding an extension. This way the Yankees will still keep the Rangers on the hoof for whatever millions they have to pay in the trade.

Personally, I think he walks. I say this because earlier in the year, sometime in July or August I believe, my cousin who is a Yankee fan saw some games in Cleveland and then a few more in Toronto. He told me that he never saw A-Rod ride the team bus back to the Hotel with the rest of the team. Jeter, Giambi, Clemens all rode the bus. A-Rod had a car take him away. That tells me that things aren't rolling as smooth they look.

If he's not playing for the Yankees, I hope the Cubs get him. My son is a huge Cubs fan and is keeping his fingers crossed. Same with Cuban buying the team. Don't think that'll happen though as the stuffy MLB owners don't want a guy like him in their fraternity. He's too much a fan like us.

Not a factor, A-Rod never has taken team bus, always had private transportation on every team he has been on.

staindsox
09-13-2007, 10:52 PM
...and Babe Ruth had his own train car.