PDA

View Full Version : ASI Thread

ChrisCavalier
09-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to post a follow-up regarding the ASI thread that was created in this forum. We have removed the thread until further proof could be provided about the claims being made.

Once again, I will make it clear that GUU has absolutely no vested interest in taking anyone's side in this matter. However, given: a) the fact that the party being implicated is claiming the statements are not true, and b) the gravity and far-reaching implications of the statements, we felt the need to remove the posts until they can be substantiated with some form of proof. Once again, we were not privy to any of the protocols used at ASI nor do we know anything about what transpired between Mr. Oberle and ASI. As such, the removal of the posts has nothing to do with whether or not we believe the posts to be true but our choice to run the site in a manner we feel is responsible.

In addition, for those who asked if we are being motivated by any threats from ASI toward GUU, I can tell you that threats have no bearing whatsoever on the the actions we are taking. In fact, I would like to remind everyone of the 'Disclaimer and Responsibilities' in the 'Forum Policies' folder that states:

The views and opinions stated in the postings do not necessarily represent those of Game Used Universe, Inc. and GameUsedForum.com, Inc.

The views and opinions expressed in postings are the responsibility of the posters and not of Game Used Universe, Inc. and GameUsedForum.com, Inc.

Game Used Universe, Inc. and GameUsedForum.com, Inc. will not be held accountable for slanderous comments posted by others. Messages published on this website are the full and complete responsibility of the author.

All website users agree to these rules.

Again, our actions are based solely on our desire to act responsibly and not in response to any threats, etc. We trust that members of our community will appreciate the fact that we have created, and will execute, protocols designed to insure this site operates in a responsible manner and that posts will have to be substantiated when deemed necessary.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Chris

mvandor
09-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Regrettably, the net result is that a very damning story which serves one of the main purposes of this forum - to warn collectors of unscrupulous items and sellers - gets swept under the rug, at least for now.

Nevertheless, if Mr. Oberle's claims are true, his stories best belong with the FBI and their investigators working this industry at present. They have the power to remove law breakers from the picture, GUU doesn't.

And if his claims are not true, then ASI would be foolish not to prosecute him for libel.

Can hardly wait to see the final episode. ;)

3arod13
09-13-2007, 09:51 AM
I do understand that solid proof and documenation is a must when accusing someone of something. However, sometimes the information is true, can't be proven, and still needs to get out to warn others. Especially when we are talking about a large company who we all know has done dishonest things in the past, that were proven.

By reading the entire thread, I do believe it's true (and we all know this stuff does happen). If I wasn't able to read what I did, I may continue to buy from them. With the information provided, proof or not, and their past history, I am able to make a decision for myself whether to deal with them or not. With what I read, I wouldn't.

I think sometimes things can be brought out (not proven, and with an already bad history) and does serve some value.

Just my thoughts.

Eric
09-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Regrettably, the net result is that a very damning story which serves one of the main purposes of this forum - to warn collectors of unscrupulous items and sellers - gets swept under the rug, at least for now.

I disagree. It's more like an "incomplete"

We deal in facts here. You can't make statements like that without offering factual evidence.

If there is proof then people can this is a very big story. If it's not true then it's not fair to those mentioned.

If Mr. Oberle offers the proof then the thread will be reinstated.

3arod13
09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
I disagree. It's more like an "incomplete"

We deal in facts here. You can't make statements like that without offering factual evidence.

If there is proof then people can this is a very big story. If it's not true then it's not fair to those mentioned.

If Mr. Oberle offers the proof then the thread will be reinstated.

Eric,

I believe many of us understand your position and the responsibility you have with this forum. Many of us just get frustated when we do know things that are going on and want to share that info. Or know we had a bad dealing with someone and want to share it, but can't without proof.

There are many forums and websites out there where people can share information like this and express themselves freely, without being shut down or censored. Yes, if that's the case, why don't people just go to those sites. Well, for myself, this is the best one and I enjoy being here, like many do.

However, as a Legal Officer in the Navy, I do understand your position.

Regards, Tony

Eric
09-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Tony-

Here's the way I always think of it. You wouldn't want unsubstantiated statements made about you. So, if Mr Oberle has the proof then he should provide it and the situation will be properly exposed.

Eric

3arod13
09-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Tony-

Here's the way I always think of it. You wouldn't want unsubstantiated statements made about you. So, if Mr Oberle has the proof then he should provide it and the situation will be properly exposed.

Eric

Eric,

I do understand that. However, if it was done against me, is true but can't be proven, still doesn't mean it wasn't done.

There has been proven misconduct on their part in the past, so I do beleive past history does make a difference in this case.

I do understand your position and respect it. I also commend you for making people provide facts. Just frustrating when you can't, but know it's true.

Eric
09-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Right, but Mr. Oberle still has the opportunity to prove what he's saying is true. No one is censoring him from doing that.

3arod13
09-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Right, but Mr. Oberle still has the opportunity to prove what he's saying is true. No one is censoring him from doing that.

Agree. Hopefully, he can do that. Would make things very interesting.

Keep up the good work with this forum!

Regards, Tony

ChrisCavalier
09-13-2007, 11:48 AM

Eric
Personally, I think it makes sense to listen to the advice in the quote above given it is coming from someone who has already done a great deal to help the collecting community in this area.

I also think the statement "You wouldn't want unsubstantiated statements made about you" is also particularly relevant as to why we feel the need to be extremely conscientious when it comes to making posts about others on the forum. Again, we trust the participants on this forum recognize the value of having these protocols in place and can feel comfortable about being part of a community where actions are taken to make sure posts can be substantiated when needed.

Sincerely,
Chris

mr.miracle
09-13-2007, 01:11 PM
I personally think it would be appropriate for Mr. Oberle or whomever else not specific to this case to come forward and substantiate these claims. I am sure I am not the only person on here who gets a bit sick and tired of all of these claims being made and then we never hear from the individual again. There might be any number of issues why in this particular case Mr. Oberle has not had additional follow-up with the forum such as he is currently in contact with local law enforcement and or the FBI and has been told to not say anymore. He also might not have any actual proof to back any of this up such as pictures of bats that are issued and then the exact same bats appearing as game used, sales receipts etc. If that however is the case then just say so. Don't keep making these claims and then refuse to address whether or not you have any real proof. How many individuals on this forum have made posts asking for actual proof of his claims? He has never, ever responded in any way saying he does or does not have proof.

We can all make our own decisions based upon what he claims has happened but until actual proof is offered we will certainly not know for sure. Even if he does have proof and is being advised not to discuss this I would simply say something to that affect and leave it at that. Perhaps he is being threatened with lawsuits and that is why he has clamed up. Who knows but if you are not prepared to face that issue then you should not make very, very serious allegations on a public forum without being prepared to face any and all consequences.

obeyone10
09-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Thank you everyone for their emails and responses. The photos are on a computer and printed (locked in a safe) in Florida. As soon as I get them which will be next week at the latest...you will see ALL of them on this site. As far as proof (photos) of jerseys going in the dryer and bats being hit, I do not have any. Unfortunately Donruss is out of business, b/c a substantial amount of memorabilia was traded to ASI (including a McGwire '99 set 3 g/u jersey) for some new football jerseys that I'm sure were chopped up and guaranteed authentic and G/U by the company president. If anyone has close ties to Ebay and their past auction database, I can tell you every item that was sold on there that was fake from Jan-May of 2005.
Bryan Oberle

3arod13
09-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Thank you everyone for their emails and responses. The photos are on a computer and printed (locked in a safe) in Florida. As soon as I get them which will be next week at the latest...you will see ALL of them on this site. As far as proof (photos) of jerseys going in the dryer and bats being hit, I do not have any. Unfortunately Donruss is out of business, b/c a substantial amount of memorabilia was traded to ASI (including a McGwire '99 set 3 g/u jersey) for some new football jerseys that I'm sure were chopped up and guaranteed authentic and G/U by the company president. If anyone has close ties to Ebay and their past auction database, I can tell you every item that was sold on there that was fake from Jan-May of 2005.
Bryan Oberle

Bryan,

I do understand that while you were working for them, you weren't thinking about taking pics or getting proof of wrongdoing. If you did decide to leave because of what you say was happening, then good on you.

However, I have to agree with Cris and everyone else. If you can't provide any proof, then please state so and let this matter die. We all have our opinions, but as Chris stated (at least in this forum), without facts or proof, this issue should end.

Please respond to this one last time so we can put this thread to rest...unless you have proof.

Thanks, Tony

obeyone10
09-13-2007, 02:41 PM
I will not reply until I have the pictures in hand. If I still had them on my camera, they'd already be up.
Bryan

3arod13
09-13-2007, 02:43 PM
I will not reply until I have the pictures in hand. If I still had them on my camera, they'd already be up.
Bryan

Looking forward to seeing them. Thanks!

obeyone10
09-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Pictures are up in a new thread.
Any coincidence that Historic is selling ASI's memorabilia? In their original auction, almost every ball was one that came from ASI's inventory (back when Brad Wells supposedly had no connection to Historic). Now we're seeing duplicate baseball and football jerseys....the things that make you go hmmm.
Looking forward to the reposted thread.
Bryan Oberle