PDA

View Full Version : Daily News on ARod's Jock

Eric
09-09-2007, 09:42 AM
The Score hears ...
By MICHAEL O'KEEFFE
Game-used memorabilia for the true jock sniffer
Sports memorabilia collectors say they like to buy game-used jerseys and bats because it makes them feel closer to their favorite players.
Collectors who buy game-used jock straps? That's a little too close for The Score.

But a discerning memorabilia collector tells The Score that there is indeed a thriving market for athletic supporters - especially if they have been worn by the Yankees' MVP candidate Alex Rodriguez. In July, an eBay member known as "Mariners3" bought what was advertised as an A-Rod game-used jock strap for $275. The jock, which has "13 AROD" written across the waist band and comes with a certificate of authenticity, was sold by an eBay dealer who goes by the handle "Postonk."

"Guaranteed the most unusual authentic game-used item in your collection," Postonk wrote. "This is an authentic, game-used jock strap worn by Yankees All-Star Alex Rodiguez. A-Rod wore this jock during his first season with the Yanks."

"Barring injury, A-Rod will no doubt surpass whatever (career home run) total Barry Bonds ends up with this season. And you'll have the all-time HR King's very own jock!" Postonk added. "Buy it now and get FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING!"

Smart collectors, of course, know that many Internet memorabilia sites are rife with fraudulent offerings, but there is evidence the piece Mariners3 bought did once support the Rodriguez family jewels. In June, Elite Sports Marketing, a Florida memorabilia company that once worked closely with A-Rod, also offered on eBay what it described as an Alex Rodriguez game-used jock from the 2004 season.

"It was put up by mistake and offered for a day or two," said Scot Monette of Elite Sports Marketing. "We pulled it from eBay once we realized the mistake."

Careful readers will note The Score has not slipped any naughty A-Rod pun into this item. But that's not because we've gotten religion. We're waiting for Randy Johnson to sell his undergarments.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2007/09/09/2007-09-09_making_a_federal_case.html

sportscentury
09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Eric,

This is classic. The statement about AROD and Elite, though, made me curious. What is their relationship (if there is one) at this point?

Reid

mumblerit
04-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Looks like someone else got a hold of the jockstrap and are selling it now, they even set up a site for it:
http://arodsjockstrap.com (http://arodsjockstrap.com/)

3arod13
04-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Even if it came with a picture of Arod wearing it; a picture of Arod signing it; and it was free; I wouldn't want it! Sick!

kylehess10
04-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Looks like someone else got a hold of the jockstrap and are selling it now, they even set up a site for it:
http://arodsjockstrap.com

That was the jock strap I purchased from Elite until they decided to ignore my e-mails and sell it to somebody else.

kylehess10
04-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Even if it came with a picture of Arod wearing it; a picture of Arod signing it; and it was free; I wouldn't want it! Sick!

Would a Lou Lampson LOA change your mind?? :D

3arod13
04-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Would a Lou Lampson LOA change your mind?? :D

A LOU LAMPSON LOA??? Well, that's a different story :)

allstarsplus
04-02-2009, 11:21 PM
That was the jock strap I purchased from Elite until they decided to ignore my e-mails and sell it to somebody else.

Dude they STIFFED you. Its HARD when you get the SHAFT. What a bunch of JERK OFFS!!!! In the END they probably did you a favor because who knows where aROD has been......

GarkoCollector
04-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Dude they STIFFED you. Its HARD when you get the SHAFT. What a bunch of JERK OFFS!!!! In the END they probably did you a favor because who knows where aROD has been......

Thats awful that he was STIFFED. Arod is pretty HARD UP for fans as it is and now he has a TOOL of a company trying to sell his gonad guard? Looks like everyone is getting HOSEd around here when it comes to this kind of JUNK.

TriplexXxSports
04-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks guys! I just spit my coffee all over my laptop! Hilarious!

Vintagedeputy
04-03-2009, 07:49 AM
I love how the seller phrased this:

Due to the inadequate size of the current economy I am forced to sell the total package. Up for grabs is a 2004 Game Used Fully Certified prior protector of the hero’s family jewels.

If I was the seller, I'd get wood, um, I mean would get that thing insured. :)

godwulf
04-03-2009, 11:42 AM
I have to think that were the typical Baseball fan(atic), whatever protestations and demurrals he might make publicly, were given one of the Babe's old jockstraps, he'd keep it - maybe in an old coffee can in the back of the closet, I mean he might not display it in a plastic cube in the den, but keep it he would.

No, I wouldn't want one of ARod's, either, but I can't completely discount the idea of owning such an item, if it were a player I really admired and avidly collected. Sorry if that creeps anyone out - I'm just being honest.

I wonder if the same "ick" factor expressed by so many guys would apply if the athletic supporter had been worn by, say, Jennie Finch, or Mia Hamm. Girls have 'em, too, you know...athletic supporters, that is.

suicide_squeeze
04-03-2009, 01:03 PM
It comes with a "Madonna" DNA swab placed in a secret location that can only be detected under a certain type of lamp.....or Sean Penn's nose...:eek:

suicide_squeeze
04-03-2009, 01:07 PM
I wonder if the same "ick" factor expressed by so many guys would apply if the athletic supporter had been worn by, say, Jennie Finch, or Mia Hamm. Girls have 'em, too, you know...athletic supporters, that is.

I thought an "athletic supporter" was the 'suit' who donated money to the local college sports programs?

DOH!

allstarsplus
04-03-2009, 01:38 PM
It comes with a "Madonna" DNA swab placed in a secret location that can only be detected under a certain type of lamp.....or Sean Penn's nose...:eek:

Since we are on the subject of gross, I saw a game used hockey goalie mask in the new style which was not run through the dishwasher or a car wash. From a cleanliness standpoint it was about the most disgusting thing I have ever seen.

I don't want to make anyone throw up but lets just say it wasn't clean and think what can come from a nose or as they say "hock a loogie (probably spelled wrong)".

I am sure this hockey mask was the exception to the cleanliness rule. lol

suicide_squeeze
04-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Since we are on the subject of gross, I saw a game used hockey goalie mask in the new style which was not run through the dishwasher or a car wash. From a cleanliness standpoint it was about the most disgusting thing I have ever seen.

I don't want to make anyone throw up but lets just say it wasn't clean and think what can come from a nose or as they say "hock a loogie (probably spelled wrong)".

I am sure this hockey mask was the exception to the cleanliness rule. lol

Are you saying he took a couple of "snot bubblers" off the forehead, Andrew??:o

He's just got to get quicker with that glove.....

sox83cubs84
04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
This isn't the first time someone in the hobby has offered a game-used jock strap...only the most publicized. In the late 1970s, a collector who I will not ID except to say that he later was employed by Score Board was offering game used jock straps and underpants of Phillies players on his for sale list.:eek: Needless to say, I didn't STAND UP and GET EXCITED;)

Dave M., Chicago area

b.heagy
04-03-2009, 07:30 PM
This isn't the first time someone in the hobby has offered a game-used jock strap...only the most publicized. In the late 1970s, a collector who I will not ID except to say that he later was employed by Score Board was offering game used jock straps and underpants of Phillies players on his for sale list.:eek: Needless to say, I didn't STAND UP and GET EXCITED;)

Dave M., Chicago area

Dave,
Welcome to the club ! Glad to see you are posting.

skyking26
04-04-2009, 01:46 AM

Dave M., Chicago area
Hey Davey...good to see you man.

RK

skyking26
04-04-2009, 01:47 AM
I have to think that were the typical Baseball fan(atic), whatever protestations and demurrals he might make publicly, were given one of the Babe's old jockstraps, he'd keep it - maybe in an old coffee can in the back of the closet, I mean he might not display it in a plastic cube in the den, but keep it he would.

No, I wouldn't want one of ARod's, either, but I can't completely discount the idea of owning such an item, if it were a player I really admired and avidly collected. Sorry if that creeps anyone out - I'm just being honest.

Hey Godwulf, can you shoot me an email. skyking442@hotmail.com

RK