PDA

View Full Version : Harmon Killebrew Game Bat Questions

jt-bats
01-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows or has seen a Harmon game bat from 1973-75 S207 with a cupped end? It does not show on his ordering records or could it have just not been logged properly? Any info please let me know.

Thanks

JimCaravello
01-27-2006, 05:32 AM
During the 1973 - 1975 Louisville Slugger labeling period, that's all Harmon Killebrew ordered - S207 model bats. The LS records do not show any orders of S207 bats with cupped ends. As has been posted here and in numerous other forums / publications, it is known that Louisville's records have been incomplete from time to time.

First - I would make sure that there is not a registered symbol after Louisville Slugger on the barrel - as I have seen and owned Killebrew S207 cuppend end bats made for Harmon after his career, that look like they are from the 73-75 period - but they were made in the late 80's and have the registered symbol after Louisville Slugger on the barrel as mentioned. These bats also have a different grain and wood quality than Harmon would have ordered duing his career.

If you feel the bat is definitely from the 73-75 period, check the use characteristics of the bat - measure the bat and check the weight to ensure that it matches S207 model bats from that era. Look at the knob and the handle - see if Harmon placed his uniform number on the knob. Harmon was a pretty consistent HEAVY pine tar user throughout his career and most of the time place his uniform number "3" and then the last number of the weight ( say 2 for 32 ounces ) in smaller writing next to his number. I have a picture example of a 73-75 S207 knob on a bat that does not have a cupped end with this particular writing on the knob in my "blog" titled "Knobs and Numbers".

If you'd like, don't hesitate to send pictures of the bat to me e-mail address below. If it is a genuine S207 model cupped end bat from the 73 - 75 era, I would love to see it. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Good luck! Jim Caravello

jcaravello@nc.rr.com

Birdbats
01-27-2006, 09:55 AM
If I'm not mistaken, H&B didn't make a cupped bat until 1973 -- it was the first C271 for Jose Cardenal.

My records for Lou Brock, who is credited with starting the "teacup" trend (his Japanese-manufactured bats had cupped ends), don't show a "cup" notation until 5/14/74 -- though there clearly is a "no cup" designation on an order of C271 bats two months earlier on 3/11/74. That tells me the factory was not necessarily making the "cup" notations in their records during those early days of cupping bats.

The first time I see a "C" added to the end of a model number on Brock's records is on 6/12/75, when he was shipped 12 bats, model C234C.

Bottom line, I'd say it's entirely possible H&B made cupped bats for Killebrew during the '73-'75 labeling period and just didn't note that in the records.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com

jt-bats
01-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the Information! The bat did the registered symbol after Louisville Slugger.

JimCaravello
01-28-2006, 09:00 AM
I thought the bat you described might have the registered symbol after Louisville Slugger on the barrel. Eveything else on the bat probably looks like a 73-75 model - stamped knob - Genuine on the barrel and the proper H&B centerbrand. I have never seen a cupped Killebrew bat from anytime in his playing career - and I have seen a lot of them. Let me know if I can help further. Thanks, Jim