PDA

View Full Version : Hack Wilson PSA Certified Used Bat

GoTigers
09-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Hey Guys,
I posted about a month ago about a Hack Wilson bat I had found at a Antique Store.. I got a great deal on it ($50). After doing some research and posting on here I started to believe it was game used. This is actually the first bat I have ever bought.

I sent it to PSA and it was certified, a GU4. The LOA says it shows heavy use and player characteristics, and that the grade was based purely on condition (broken handle, nails in bat head). The LOA states that if I were to have it restored the grade could increase at least 3 points.

I am probably going to put this up for auction, and my question is how much will restoration affect the sale price? I am only selling b/c my wife and I could use the money to help buy a house. We're 26 and I hate to part with it, but I figure I have a lot of bats in my future.

So, your opinions on this will be very helpful, I don't know anything about restoration. Who to use. How much it will cost. How this is viewed in the hobby.

You can check out the bat at psadna.com
Grade Cert: 81869396
PSA Cert: G55110

The LOA Comments state: The grade of GU4 is based purely on the condition of the bat. A restoration of the handle and back barrel could increase the grad at least 3 points.

The LOA Conclusion is: After a thorough examination of this Hack Wilson professional model bat, it is our opinion the bat is authentic, and was used by Hack Wilson during the referenced labeling period. The bat exhibits heavy use and possesses identifiable player use characteristics. We have assigned the bat a PSA grade of GU4 due to its poor condition.

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
09-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Hi--I would be happy to share some before and after photos from a top notch restorer who did a vintage bat for me. Just send me your e-mail address and I will get them out.

GoTigers
09-05-2007, 06:42 PM
I have attached some pictures of the bat in it's current state.

GoTigers
09-05-2007, 07:04 PM
I also found out from PSA this bat dates to 1929-1930. In 1930 Wilson hit the 191 RBI's which is still a record.. I dont know if this makes it more valuable, or in more need to refurbish.