PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Colorado Rockies Tagging Question

G1X
09-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Many of the 2004 Colorado Rockies jerseys in the marketplace have the traditional strip tagging in the tail that was employed by the Rockies during the early part of the decade (player's name, jesey size, and the player's number). There are also a number of 2004 Rockies jerseys that have a 2004 year tag (see photo) instead of the strip tag.

Does anyone know the the details regarding the tagging differences?

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

kylehess10
09-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Strip tagging for 2004 Rockies jerseys? I've never heard that before. I've only seen the years tags on 2004 jerseys.

G1X
09-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Kyle,

Check out Jim's Jerseys or Ball Park Heroes price lists. There are numerous 2004 Rockies' jerseys where the tail tagging includes the player name, size, and number.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

Swoboda4
09-05-2007, 07:52 AM
I have a 2002 Jay Payton Colorado purple away jersey,#27. It was the first jersey he wore after being traded by the Mets. It may have been too soon to have a jersey with a name on the tag so this one just has the 100% Polyester flag tag on top of the 2" EXTRA LENGTH" flag tag which was placed on the bottom of the Autherntic Russell Label placed outside of jersey in front. He soon changed to #44. This be a similar situation where tags exist without names but with just years.
Robert

(I'm trying to determine G/U HOF pitchers bat prices. Has any member seen a HOF pitcher G/U bat with a price?)
Robert

kingjammy24
09-05-2007, 12:47 PM
mark,

i don't know for certain what the answer is in the particular case of '04 rockies shirts but i'll take a stab at it.

when you've got a team that issues tags with player's names/numbers and also generic tags with just a year, my first thought is that the latter jerseys were originally spares. these spares would then be put into use later in the season. while spares would typically be used for mid-season call-ups and trades, they'd also be used for jerseys that were lost/stolen/damaged or if a player wanted to try a new size and didn't want to wait. i remember seeing jack morris pitching for the jays in 1992 in a spare jersey. the jays signed him in dec 1991 so why he was pitching in a spare in 1992 is anyone's guess.

rudy.

G1X
09-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Robert and Rudy,

Thanks for the input. Like Rudy, I am guessing that the year-tagged jerseys were spares that were put to use.

The photo supplied in my initial post is the tagging on a Matt Holliday jersey that shows nice game use. He was called up early in the 2004 season (April 16).

It seems that the year-tagged jerseys appear to be more prominent in 2004 than any of the previous seasons. Perhaps it had something to do with it being the last year Russell was the supplier. Any other thoughts or facts on this subject would be most appreciated.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange