PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Patriots helmet

Tedw9
09-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and don't know anything about game used helmets so that is why I am here.

I just purchased a game used/worn and autographed helmet from a gentleman on Ebay. I know most of you would say to stay away from there, but even if the helmet is not game used, as long as it is an authentic helmet, it still was a decent deal.

The first link is the helmet I bought, and the other two links are to other helmets the same seller has sold. Can anyone here tell me from what year(s) the helmets are from. My guess is that they are from the same time frame as the Patriots on the back of the other helmets looks like a lighter blue therefor being an older helmet. And what position would have worn the type of helmet I bought? My guess would be a lineman, but I am not sure. Any information that anyone could share with me would be very much appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290157320981&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290151887515

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290151884901

mvandor
09-04-2007, 04:03 PM
My warning flags are going up - all seem to have the same stickering, all appear to be the same off the shelf Riddell model shells. My gut is telling me the guy picked up a bunch of Prolines, and changed out the facemasks and stickers.

However, I'll defer to our resident helmet expert, aeneas on this one.

aeneas01
09-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and don't know anything about game used helmets so that is why I am here.

I just purchased a game used/worn and autographed helmet from a gentleman on Ebay. I know most of you would say to stay away from there, but even if the helmet is not game used, as long as it is an authentic helmet, it still was a decent deal.

The first link is the helmet I bought, and the other two links are to other helmets the same seller has sold. Can anyone here tell me from what year(s) the helmets are from. My guess is that they are from the same time frame as the Patriots on the back of the other helmets looks like a lighter blue therefor being an older helmet. And what position would have worn the type of helmet I bought? My guess would be a lineman, but I am not sure. Any information that anyone could share with me would be very much appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290157320981&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290151887515

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290151884901

hello tedw9:

despite my friend's (mvandor) flattering testimony, i certainly don't consider myself an expert when it comes to game used lids - i think i'm more of a helmet nerd that's in deperate need of professional help, at least that's the picture my wife has painted! with that in mind, here are my thoughts...

- did you ask the seller any questions regarding the origin of these helmets? if so, what did he say?

- you can find out what year your helmets were manufactured by looking inside of the shell towards the front top of the crown - look for a dime-sized machine engraved circle with a line running through the middle. the month will be on one side of the line and the year on the other. you will probably need to remove padding or bend it back in order to see it. a magnifying glass also helps...

- you mentioned that "...but even if the helmet is not game used, as long as it is an authentic helmet, it still was a decent deal". by "authentic helmet" do you mean a helmet that originally came from the patriots' lockerroom/organization? if so, i think you are out of luck.

- there's nothing about the helmets you pointed to (and purchased if you are ebayer jerseys23) that would lead me to believe that they were actual patriots helmets; game used, game issued or otherwise. they appear to be typical and easily available reproductions. further, the seller appears to have some experience dealing with these sort of items - as such, i find it suspicious that he would list these helmets for only $175 (and accept only $100 as a best offer) if he knew these lids to be actual, authentic patriot game helmets. that's the bad news. the good news is that at $100 per, you didn't get over pay imo given that $100 bucks tends to be roughly the going rate for these sort of reproductions.

- for future reference i would recommend ebayer bernstein2 as an honest and reliable source for reproductions - a reliable source that doesn't play games with the terms "game issue, game issued, game used, etc.". he would most likely even make a helmet to your specifications (i.e. your favorite player's specifications) for roughly what you paid inkmikey per lid. here's one of his patriots reproductions he currently has listed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-England-Patriots-fullsize-football-helmet-12_W0QQitemZ110166331184QQihZ001QQcategoryZ62158QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

David
09-06-2007, 01:45 PM
If the autographs are authentic, it has financial value whether or not the helmet is game used.

Tedw9
09-06-2007, 06:04 PM
- did you ask the seller any questions regarding the origin of these helmets? if so, what did he say?I did ask him, but after I had bought it. Dumb, I know. He did not reply to me. I did pay with Paypal so I do have recourse if I choose to use it.

- you can find out what year your helmets were manufactured by looking inside of the shell towards the front top of the crown - look for a dime-sized machine engraved circle with a line running through the middle. the month will be on one side of the line and the year on the other. you will probably need to remove padding or bend it back in order to see it. a magnifying glass also helps...I will do that as soon as I get it. I can ask him again about his purchase of it and see how it compares to what the helmet shows.

- you mentioned that "...but even if the helmet is not game used, as long as it is an authentic helmet, it still was a decent deal". by "authentic helmet" do you mean a helmet that originally came from the patriots' lockerroom/organization? if so, i think you are out of luck.No, I guess what I consider an authentic helmet and what actually is are two different things. I meant that it was not a cheap replica helmet. It is like the ones they use on field, not an official Patriots helmet.

- there's nothing about the helmets you pointed to (and purchased if you are ebayer jerseys23) that would lead me to believe that they were actual patriots helmets; game used, game issued or otherwise. they appear to be typical and easily available reproductions. further, the seller appears to have some experience dealing with these sort of items - as such, i find it suspicious that he would list these helmets for only $175 (and accept only $100 as a best offer) if he knew these lids to be actual, authentic patriot game helmets. that's the bad news. the good news is that at $100 per, you didn't get over pay imo given that $100 bucks tends to be roughly the going rate for these sort of reproductions.I am not the buyer listed in those auctions, I just showed them for reference. I saw he had sold other helmets and thought I would post those links to show what else he had sold. And for the record, I paid $150 WITH delivery, as part of the deal was free shipping. My thought was that even an "authentic" replica helmet would cost me around $150 and the value of the autographs was a bonus. I do believe the autographs are real, I have a few of those players already and am familiar with those autos.

- for future reference i would recommend ebayer bernstein2 as an honest and reliable source for reproductions - a reliable source that doesn't play games with the terms "game issue, game issued, game used, etc.". he would most likely even make a helmet to your specifications (i.e. your favorite player's specifications) for roughly what you paid inkmikey per lid. here's one of his patriots reproductions he currently has listed.Thank you for that link. I have him bookmarked in my favorites and I will use him instead in the future. And thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me with so much detail. I appreciate you taking the time to educate a newbie, thank you. :) Now I just need to decide if I want to try to get my money back, or is it even worth the fight.

If the autographs are authentic, it has financial value whether or not the helmet is game used.That was my thought too David. I feel that the autographs are real and that the helmet with the autos has some value. Is it worth the $150 I paid? I'm not sure. I guess I will wait until I get the helmet to decide that.