PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel Larry Bird warmup screwup...

33bird
09-03-2007, 03:47 PM
I believe that in 1991-92 in the NBA they wore a 50th anniversary patch on their warmup jackets. The one in the current Grey Flannel auction doesn't have the patch. I've included a picture of their Bird warmup with pictures I've found from 1991-92 of Bird in his warmup jacket. I've learned lately you can't trust most of these auction houses after a Bill North A's jersey I got via Lelands turns out to apparently have a few problems. Like others have said-ALWAYS do your own homework no matter who's selling it.
Greg

Texans
09-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Didnt they celebrete the 50th anniversary of the NBA during the 1996 through 1997 season?

Jojo

33bird
09-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Yea, I think you're right about that. What would the patch be that they wore in 1991-92? Is it the James Naismith 100th anniversay of the invention of basketball or something? If you look on the pictures of Bird it looks like it says 100.
Greg

Texans
09-03-2007, 09:33 PM
The picture you use of Larry Bird was from Jan 1 1991. So that warm up was used from the 1990 to 1991 season. The Grey Flannel is from the 91-92 season. The tag does says 100 but for what I dont know. I will try to find out

Jojo

Texans
09-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Please disregard my previous post. I did not know for older pictures that Getty Images does not use the correct date. They lump all the dates at the same time. Im sorry. I will try to find out what year they use that 100 tag

Jojo

33bird
09-03-2007, 10:07 PM
No, he's DEFINATELY wearing that warmup with the patch during the 1991-92 season. In fact, look at the card, it shows bird with teammates Rickey Green and Rick Fox in the picture-he only played with those two guys in 1991-92! I believe the patch has something to do with James Naismith.
Greg

LEGEND33
09-04-2007, 10:36 AM
This is a 1991-92 Orlando Magic jacket with the same Basketball Centennial patch

kingjammy24
09-04-2007, 06:25 PM
is it me or do the cuffs seen on bird in the photos seem tighter? the sleeve cuffs on the GFC seem much wider/looser. as well, is the nob thinner than it should be?

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/7120/birdbv7.jpg

here's the patch: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8783929871

at any rate, the patch should be there and it's not. it's honestly difficult to understand how simple issues like this elude the "authenticators for the basketball hall of fame". it seems go beyond being embarassing at this point.

rudy.

hblakewolf
09-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Rudy-
What year is the photo you posted showing the back of the home Bird warm-up? If it's the same year as the Grey Flannel warm-up, the green plates are not the same. The photo of the green plate worn by Bird appears to be shorter in height than the one on the GF jacket.

Maybe the patch was removed? Rudy, did you Has anyone bring this to the attention of Richie Ruissek and the gang at Grey Flannel. Being that Grey Flannel is the official authenticator for the Basketball Hall of Fame and as they claim, "The Standard of the Industry", it's a bit hard to believe they did not notice the patch, or lack of. Maybe you can also ask them about the differences in the trim and nameplate.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

33bird
09-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Howard, I'm the one who started this thread, and the picture of Bird running thru the tunnel is from the right season-1991-92. I don't think the sleeves are right either. The whole thing is a mess. I feel sorry for the sucker who wins it.
Greg

kingjammy24
09-10-2007, 05:36 PM
this lot closed at $2800 and was never taken down.

re: the patch possibly being removed
the description stated that "there appears to be no alterations of any kind."
as well, you'd think that
a) GFC would've known that there should've been a patch and
b) in the absence of one, they'd offer an explanation.

aside from the patch, the sleeve cuffs are odd as is the nob.

maybe michael o'keeffe should turn his attention to GFC. there'd certainly be no lack of material.

that sound is the sound of $2800 being flushed down the toilet.

rudy.

jdr3
09-10-2007, 05:57 PM
One trip to Getty Images would have saved some poor sap $1100. In their infamous James Worthy email telling how the jersey would be in their November auction they stated that the Worthy jersey "had passed every litmus test." I challenge ANYONE from GFC to tell us what those tests are. It seems that GFC's idea of a litmus test is to open the package a jersey comes from and assign an opening bid to it-highly scientific. Compare the Chris Webber jersey auctioned Saturday to the jersey worn in games as documented by photographic evidence. The NOB is the wrong font and spaced incorrectly to boot.

both-teams-played-hard
09-10-2007, 06:12 PM
They made store-bought #4 Michigans without a NOB, during the Weber era. The NOB seems to have been squeezed into the blank spot above the number "4". As I've stated numerous times: this game used jersey stuff is complicated, but it ain't rocket surgery.
Let's hope the Worthy stays in a private collection FOREVER.

Grey Flannel,
Please don't relist the "UnWorthy". Do background checks of your consignors.

33bird
09-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Not to mention the supposed Larry Bird Game used last season playoff shoes-that COULD NOT be photo matched. I found photos from the last playoff series with the Cav's and in NONE of those photos did have those shoes on. Too much bad stuff.
Greg