PDA

View Full Version : MLB Forces Francona to Wear Jersey

Swoboda4
08-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Lately I've noticed Leyland has started to wear his jersey during the game instead of his patented Tiger pullover. It was a factor in me not purchasing his game used jersey from the first half of this season. Now I know why. Read the following article from today's N.Y. Post:
Terry Francona will most remember this latest trip to Yankee Stadium for his brush with Major League Baseball's fashion police.

The Red Sox manager wasn't laughing about the timing. He was approached by an MLB resident security agent in the dugout during the second inning of Wednesday night's game and asked to duck into the runway for a uniform inspection.

Entrusted with the inspection, according to sources, was Eddie Maldonado, a lieutenant in the NYPD intelligence department, who was approved by MLB.

Hours earlier, Francona had met with MLB's vice-president of rules and on-field operations Bob Watson. At issue was Francona's habit of not having a uniform jersey underneath the pullover he wears in the dugout. Francona said he had begun wearing the uniform jersey recently, after MLB had threatened fines for failure to comply with the rule.

Vintagedeputy
08-31-2007, 12:38 PM
I know some Sox fans will say that the Yankees were using the uniform as a way to harass the Red Sox but I'm in total agreement with enforcing the policy. Its just like anyone who works in a large office building and must wear an id card. Its for safety and security reasons and it should be enforced. Gone are the days of Connie Mack in a suit. When all hell breaks loose at a Bosox/Yankees game, the cops and security people will expect the players to be in uniform when herding them to safety. A guy in a pullover and hat looks like every other fan.

Yankwood
08-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Can you imagine if Bill Parsells had to wear a uniform with pads and helmet on the sidelines? How funny would that be?

Vintagedeputy
08-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Knowing Bill Parcells, he'd tell someone to go F themselves!

Swoboda4
08-31-2007, 01:43 PM
I think this all has more to do with keeping the players in line with the way they dress on the field. Managers included. Players love to keep their jersey ,as much as they can, out of their pants. Having the look of it covering their belt. If they could they would wear their hat sideways or Griffey style,backwards. As soon as the last out is registered,there is always a large segment of the players that immediately pull their jerseys out of their pants(Manny,Reyes)for all the fans to see. ESPN has a similar article by Gammons in regard to this enforcement with Torre being quoted with his opposition to this enforcement,which in my opinion he's missing the point. Hopefully Torre means the timing of when MLB enforces it's codes,to not enforce during play as with Francona.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2997982
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72175973.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABBD9A056B0AB02D014

psmachetti
08-31-2007, 08:03 PM
If the league is enforcing their uniform code then why aren't they forcing the players to have their stirrups showing. This whole bell bottom look w/the pants is ridiculous. I miss the days of the high cut stirrups and sanitary hose.
Paul

Swoboda4
08-31-2007, 08:17 PM
The way they wear their uniforms it looks like they're all wearing pajamas at a sleep-over. David wells's uniform jersey is so large(In keeping with the current style and to hide his waist)that there isn't a jersey case big enough to display it in.
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/abd50739-69e5-4fb0-a63d-29a0020925a9.jpg