PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken "Game Worn" Jersey

bigtime59
01-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Game Used Worn Cal Ripken '97 Orioles Jersey Not Signed (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8756738592&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT)

This marks at least the second appearance of this particular jersey. It has a huge and glaring flaw. Can you spot it?

Yankwood
01-25-2006, 06:12 PM
no

hblakewolf
01-25-2006, 07:51 PM
...besides the fact that both the front and back 8's are upside down, I see no other problems!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bigtime59
01-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Well, the jersey has gone to the land of "no longer available for sale," so I'll do the big reveal:
How do you have a "1997" jersey with 1999-pattern "Orioles" script? I guess it's lucky for us that the people making the fakes don't know what the hell they're doing, but still...did the person who made this jersey just assume we weren't going to be able to tell the difference?

BaseballGM
01-25-2006, 11:19 PM
BigT59 - I sure could use an opinion about my O's 1998 jersey. Thanks, Kevin (P.S. It has a SCDA letter).

worldchamps
01-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Maybe this jersey was a TTCF (Turn the clock forward) jersey. I am pretty sure they played a game in 97, where the Orioles played the 99 Yankees. This jersey must be from that game.

kingjammy24
01-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Howard: How can you tell the 8 is backwards?

Mark: I think it would be phenominal if you could post a little 'primer' on Orioles script from say..1990-2000. I continue to look at it and simply can't see what you're seeing. This is the second time you've said that an Orioles jersey bears year tagging that is newer than the script (therefore implying the jersey is fake). Both jerseys had paper tags with computer-printed text. The reason I find this very interesting is because, if you're correct, it's revealing a level of sophistication among baseball jersey forgers that I haven't seen very often. Most of the fakes I see are pretty sloppy - incorrect fonts, incorrect tagging, missing patches, etc. While it's relatively easy to acquire the same material as the paper tags and then have an 'authentic' font printed on them, it simply reveals that higher-quality fakes are being turned out than I've seen for the most part.
Would it be possible for you to post how to spot revisions in Orioles script by year?

thanks,

Rudy.

bigtime59
01-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Howard: How can you tell the 8 is backwards?

Mark: I think it would be phenominal if you could post a little 'primer' on Orioles script from say..1990-2000. I continue to look at it and simply can't see what you're seeing. This is the second time you've said that an Orioles jersey bears year tagging that is newer than the script (therefore implying the jersey is fake). Both jerseys had paper tags with computer-printed text. The reason I find this very interesting is because, if you're correct, it's revealing a level of sophistication among baseball jersey forgers that I haven't seen very often. Most of the fakes I see are pretty sloppy - incorrect fonts, incorrect tagging, missing patches, etc. While it's relatively easy to acquire the same material as the paper tags and then have an 'authentic' font printed on them, it simply reveals that higher-quality fakes are being turned out than I've seen for the most part.
Would it be possible for you to post how to spot revisions in Orioles script by year?

thanks,

Rudy.

Rudy:
There is a large photo of me in the headquarters of the Franklin/Covey company. Each day, the employees walk past it, point and laugh! As Kevin can attest, I am a disorganized trainwreck with the time management skills of a small child, but I'll see what I can do about an Orioles script primer.
Also, each time I've called out Orioles jerseys on script issues, the script has been a later pattern than is correct for the tagging.
One thing that makes this a little easier, though. The constant revisions in the "Orioles" script on the jerseys didn't start until 1995. The 1989-1994 period is stable, with no revisions.
Mark