PDA

View Full Version : Bat Terminology Question

godwulf
08-24-2007, 01:07 PM
How would one describe a bat that was obviously made for a player, but which is pristine, having absolutely no use, and which was never marked in any way with numbers, etc.?

With jerseys in comparable, unused condition, I see "game ready", "game issued", "team issued", and so forth...but how are bats like this normally described? (Not as "game used", certainly...although I think we've all seen Sellers who did call them that.)

I'm not referring, by the way, to so-called "show bats" (at least that's what I most frequently hear them called), which are obviously made solely for autographing purposes.

brianborsch
08-24-2007, 02:23 PM
From what I understand, bats like this are also called 'Game Issued". Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

harpt
08-24-2007, 02:33 PM
I agree, "Game Issued" is often used. This is something of a misnomer in my opinion though. I realize that this may just be symantics, but bats are not issued by the team the way uniforms are...they are ordered by the player. To call a bat "Game Issued" seems problematic to me.

"Game Ready" doesn't work for me either, since the tar and tape, etc is what makes it ready for the game in my mind.

I think "Un Used Game Bat" makes sense.

Vintagedeputy
08-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Its a bit lengthy, but I like "unused professional model"

brianborsch
08-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Unused Professional Model sounds good to me. It will be ahrd to break the "Game Issued" habit though. Dang!

TNTtoys
08-24-2007, 02:57 PM
I tend to see the term "professional model" a lot in terms of the "show bat" that has the player name on it without any use.

Not sure you want to use that term here because of the connotation. i.e. it is a professional style bat; same model as the player would use; but no affiliation to that player or team, and definitely has not been made "game ready."

godwulf
08-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the input!

I agree that "unused game bat" does make a certain amount of sense...although I guess one could legitimately ask, "What game?"

On a somewhat related note, I'm always a bit suspicious of bats, regardless of how much use they show, without numbers. A couple of times lately, I've asked players about this, and they've said, "Yeah, that's one of my bp bats". Can you think of any reason why an actual gamer would not have a number on at least one end? 'Cause I can't.

zonker
08-24-2007, 05:12 PM
"unused player ordered bat"

brianborsch
08-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Keep in mind, some players do not put their numbers on their bats at all. Joe Mauer is an example. He does not always do it. There are others as well....

Vintagedeputy
08-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Posada is another, although his bats smell like urine which distinguishes them from the others, :)

hiramman
08-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Brian McCann, catcher for the Braves uses bats without any number on the end quite often. I watch every game and I've noticed it many times. It always seems like they are pretty new bats. He may use them without his number when the bat is new & then adds it later, but I definitely have seen him use bats without a number several times.