PDA

View Full Version : 86 Mets Jersey Question

Swoboda4
08-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know if a 1986 Mets playoff/world series jersey would have any flag tag thats designates it as a post seasion jersey. Ive seen some common 86 Mets G/U jerseys for common players in the $600 range, what would be the highest price if anyone knows for a mid-level star or the most you would expect to pay for an 86 jersey.
-Robert

TNTtoys
08-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Does anyone know if a 1986 Mets playoff/world series jersey would have any flag tag thats designates it as a post seasion jersey. Ive seen some common 86 Mets G/U jerseys for common players in the $600 range, what would be the highest price if anyone knows for a mid-level star or the most you would expect to pay for an 86 jersey.
-Robert

Hi Robert,

I have seen an 86 Mets jersey designated for the post season before (sadly I do not own one) and yes, it does have special tagging that designates it as a post season jersey. I have photos of one in my archive at home. I can send them your way later tonight if you like.

I have 87 and 88 Post-season tagged jerseys, and both feature "PO" in the strip tag. It might be the same on the 86s, but I am not too sure, as I am doing it from memory at this point. Also, the manufacturer was different for the 86s (Goodman) than the 87s and 88s (Rawlings)...so you might have a difference.

For prices on the 86 jerseys, I'd best refer you to Andy Fogel. He has had a lot of these come through his hands over the years and should be able to give you some accurate prices. You would have to imagine it would fall somewhere between the $600 common player price and the multi-thousand superstar price.

Nick

metsbats
08-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Robert,

I own 14 86 Met game used jerseys most of them non-star players like Leach, Hearn, Lyons, Magadan, Anderson, etc. I purchased most of them for between $600-$800 range.

The star players like Hernandez, Carter, Gooden, and Strawberry will cost a premium usually between the $1500-$4500 range.

New sets of jerseys home and road were issue for the post season in 1986 and were strip tagged to the left of the Goodman tag "SET P 86". Road greys and home pinstripes as well as pregame postseason warm ups were tagged for the post season that way.

David

metsbats
08-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Here is a photo of 3 Anderson's. The middle is a 86 post season pre-game and has the SET P 86 tag.

dcrules01
08-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Here is my Magadan 86 he didn't make the playoffs that year..
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Game%20Used/tbcjerseysmets004.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Game%20Used/tbcjerseysmets001.jpg

PRBill1
08-23-2007, 08:32 PM
David--Would you mind contacting me off-list when you have some free time? I'm just curious which 86 Mets jerseys you own and I had a few general questions.

Thanks.

Regards,
Bill
(PRBill1@aol.com)

metsbats
08-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Bill, email me at metsbats86@aol.com Regards -David

Swoboda4
08-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks to all. I've been away from the computer since I originally posted.--Nick(TNTtoys)if you could e-mail me what that playoff tag looks like. Even though it's just been explained quite well. "talk to me' at bazil221b@aol.com
Robert

TNTtoys
08-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Nick(TNTtoys)if you could e-mail me what that playoff tag looks like. Robert

Robert,

David already put up a photo that includes it. Look at the middle jersey (the BP) in his photo and it's to the left of the Goodman tag.

Regards
Nick

Swoboda4
08-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Nick and dave thanks. The reason I brought this thread up is someone told me that during a card show in late 86/early 87 Lenny Dykstra asked the promoter if he wanted to buy a jersey of his, "that I worn during the World Series". The deal was made and the gentleman who put the jersey away remembers it was a home pinstripe with the anniversary patch. His interests were in the card,autograph end of the hobby and still is. He will look at the jersey again to chack on the label/strip tag(if any). Has anyone else had a similar experience with Lenny who always,aside from being a great character and card show guest, seemed to be hustling items during those days after the series. what would be the memberships guess as to the worth of the jersey if it does bear the playoff tag? Would you consider the possibility of his name being mentioned in the yet unrevealed steroid list in assessing it's value?
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/51494601.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=6EF1572BEF5BC1096607B51737D37C36

metsbats
08-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Robert,

Here is a close up of the PO tag on my 86 Rick Anderson pre-game jersey.

Regards
-David

metsbats
08-24-2007, 08:05 PM
A home pinstripe would be easy to photo match.

Bear in mind that Dykstra was very superstitious about his equipment so much in fact that in 1993 he sent back all the World Series bats that were sent to him from HB because he insisted on continuing to use his regular season gamers during the post season.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the jerseys he used during the 86 playoffs and WS are devoid of the PO tagging.

Just a thought.
-David

hblakewolf
08-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Nick and dave thanks. The reason I brought this thread up is someone told me that during a card show in late 86/early 87 Lenny Dykstra asked the promoter if he wanted to buy a jersey of his, "that I worn during the World Series". The deal was made and the gentleman who put the jersey away remembers it was a home pinstripe with the anniversary patch. His interests were in the card,autograph end of the hobby and still is. He will look at the jersey again to chack on the label/strip tag(if any). Has anyone else had a similar experience with Lenny who always,aside from being a great character and card show guest, seemed to be hustling items during those days after the series. what would be the memberships guess as to the worth of the jersey if it does bear the playoff tag? Would you consider the possibility of his name being mentioned in the yet unrevealed steroid list in assessing it's value?
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/51494601.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=6EF1572BEF5BC1096607B51737D37C36

After the 1993 World Series, Dykstra was the guest at an autograph show. He sold the promoter his complete road 1993 Phillies outfit, spikes (Pony's with NAILS on the side), fielding glove, hat and batting gloves. I currently own all of these items, and they are a great addition to my Phillies uniform collection.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Swoboda4
08-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Dave thanks for the closeup. Howard,interesting followup with Lenny's Philly uniform/items. (Howard,let me know if the Met jacket surfaces somehow)-Robert
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/300927.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B3EA2C03450C9486D27BC34C37E44B6C