PDA

View Full Version : UPS Theft

Bigcatbaseball
08-22-2007, 07:40 PM
I just received an empty bat tube delivered by UPS. The best I can tell, someone at UPS opened the tube, removed the Jeff Kent game used bat and replaced the bat with rolled up plastic trash bags. They left the LOA behind. This sounds like a similar situation with another collector who lost Soriano bats rcently through UPS. I hope this is not a trend but I have some concerns that this might become an issue for other collectors. I have not been able to discuss this with UPS but I dont have any real hope in finding the bat as this is not a simple case of a lost item in transit but the deliberate act of a disreputable SOB.:mad:

metsbats
08-23-2007, 10:41 PM
This is certaining a disturbing trend.

Chris, Rob, or Eric,

Is there some sort of medium beside the forum that we can advertise the fact that this is happening. Perhaps a little negative publicity for UPS would make them look into this and crack down on these crimes.

David

psmachetti
08-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Anybody that sends their items UPS instead of USPS is out of their minds!
I've heard more horror stories from collectors who've used UPS, than I can count.
paul

aeneas01
08-24-2007, 12:13 AM
a burgeoning trend? i highly doubt it. i mean consider for a moment just how lucky a crooked ups guy would have to be in order to nab a valuable bat out of the 15 million plus packages ups handles each and every day - he would be better off buying a lottery ticket. jmo.

and, fwiw, i've owned my busines for 12 years and have shipped and received thousands of packages via ups during this time and not once has a package been lost. maybe i'm just lucky.

Vintagedeputy
08-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Back in 1999, I ordered a special custom made police ring from a company. One day the company called and said that the ring had been stolen by one of the UPS delivery drivers. Seems that he picked up a ton of rings one day and took off with everything. It later turned up in an Ohio pawn shop where it was purchased by the owner from some crackhead off the street.

People will steal anything.

Vintagedeputy
08-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Bigcat - what was the starting and ending destination for your bat? Since Andrew had one stolen by UPS, maybe there's a common location that these bats are traveling through.............

metsbats
08-24-2007, 07:36 AM
The last few packages i recieved from Steiner if memory serves me correct only contained their address w/ no company name. Its more likely that a UPS or anyone else looking at a return address which has the name of a Sports Memoribilia company will be more tempted to steal what is in the box. Perhaps more dealers should do the same?

As an aside, a couple of weeks ago i receive a bat in a "Louisville Slugger" box via UPS so i feel very fortunate it made it here with the contents in tack.

David

Birdbats
08-24-2007, 12:07 PM
A couple years back, I bought a jersey from College Jersey.com and when it showed up, the box was empty. It looked like someone just punched the box and grabbed whatever was inside. Luckily, College Jersey had another shirt like the one that was stolen and replaced it with no hassle -- I assume they handled the claim with UPS. At the time, the box had a College Jersey.com return address label, so it was kind of obvious what was inside. Not sure they use those labels anymore.

W_EISENHUTH
08-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Whether using UPS,USPS, FED EX or any other delivery service, always PURCHASE INSURANCE! The USPS tracking system is worthless IMHO at least with UPS you can track the package every step of the way. I've found them to be much more reliable than the USPS.

allstarsplus
08-24-2007, 01:40 PM
I prefer shipping Fedex, although their insurance policy isn't as liberal as UPS, they have been more reliable for me as a shipper.

Most of the people I purchase from use UPS and I will let you know how my Soriano "missing" bat plays out with them and insurance, etc.

The one thing I do now is sign in person for all of my items as I don't want packages left at the door.

Andrew

beavisrules
08-24-2007, 01:53 PM
I've not yet had a problem with UPS delivered items as far as contents stolen - granted, we're not talking about a huge volume of stuff like some of you folks deal with on a regular basis, but everything I've gotten from collegejersey had arrived ok (although the collegejersey brown boxes looked like they'd be used as a baseball when i got them, but at least the jerseys were all there).

Birdbats, collegejersey changed the boxes they use to ship jerseys (at least recently in my last few purchases). Previously, they were oversized brown boxes that you could easily open without much effort. Lately, they've been the boxes similar to those that USPS gives away for priority mail - someone would have to blatantly rip open the box to steal the jerseys now, fwiw.

cjmedina1
08-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Bigcatbaseball (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=53)

When I'm dealing with a MaC bat I would rather have my bat shipped over night.I never had a problem.However I did have a problem with the post office when it was shipped regular mail.

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

BTW I hate the inconsistencies of Airports Security.:mad:

Sheffield11
08-24-2007, 04:25 PM
I feel that it would be much harder for someone to open a tightly and well wrapped package, this is why i use several layers of tape and always insure. If you use several layers of tape and the package is still tampered with it is much more obvious foul play is involved.

imlemonysnicket
08-24-2007, 05:35 PM
This recently happened to a box my dad sent back to a collector in the NY/NJ area. The box contained 2 Pujols game bats and a Soriano bat. When the customer received his bats back, the Soriano was not in the box. There was a slit cut into the box and taped back up. I guess the police have been contacted and UPS is investigating (whatever that means). Apparently, this has happened to other collectors in the area.

brett

Vintagedeputy
08-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Another missing Soriano?

Methinks somethings amiss here!

kingjammy24
08-24-2007, 06:18 PM
http://www.gameworn.net/cgi-bin/GW/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=017075

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
08-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Seems that he picked up a ton of rings one day and took off with everything. It later turned up in an Ohio pawn shop where it was purchased by the owner from some crackhead off the street.

http://img103.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2007/08/24/nationalcrackheadalliance-47llhnoi1.jpg
"I'm not saying she smokes crack...she's just a little crackish..."

Vintagedeputy
08-24-2007, 11:00 PM
BTPH - Now that's funny!

Good Work! :)

B1SON
08-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Bigcat - what was the starting and ending destination for your bat? Since Andrew had one stolen by UPS, maybe there's a common location that these bats are traveling through.............

Good idea!

3arod13
08-25-2007, 09:14 AM
I just received an empty bat tube delivered by UPS. The best I can tell, someone at UPS opened the tube, removed the Jeff Kent game used bat and replaced the bat with rolled up plastic trash bags. They left the LOA behind. This sounds like a similar situation with another collector who lost Soriano bats rcently through UPS. I hope this is not a trend but I have some concerns that this might become an issue for other collectors. I have not been able to discuss this with UPS but I dont have any real hope in finding the bat as this is not a simple case of a lost item in transit but the deliberate act of a disreputable SOB.:mad:

This happened to me also. I was luckily at home waiting for the bat to be delivered. UPS arrived and did not knock or ring the doorbell. I happened to see him running back to truck. I opened the door to find an empty box. I yelled to the UPS guy and told him the box was empty. I told him how could he leave the box there, knowing it was empty. He somewhat played it off. I immediately call my local UPS and went down there immediately. Amazingly, so they say, they found the bat in a bin and believe the bat fell out. Give me a break. I was lucky to be home when he delivered it and most importantly ran down to UPS and raised hell. No question in my mind, someone knew what is was and intended to steal it.

cjosefy
08-25-2007, 10:27 AM
I also once received an empty tube from UPS. One end cap was missing, so I'm inclined to believe that it fell out somewhere along the way. It was a Bill Doran bat, so I don't see a lot of value in stealing it.

The seller put in a claim with UPS and they ended up paying for the bat at which point I got my money back.

jon_8_us
08-25-2007, 10:39 AM
I also once received an empty tube from UPS. One end cap was missing, so I'm inclined to believe that it fell out somewhere along the way. It was a Bill Doran bat, so I don't see a lot of value in stealing it.

The seller put in a claim with UPS and they ended up paying for the bat at which point I got my money back.

Cjosefy,
Seeing as in our fantasy baseball league your email address is the only one hidden i figured this place to be the best to express my disapointment about you totally bailing on the league you signed up for and said you were gonna participate in.Don't ever bother to try to play in a GUU league that i set up again.You are the type of player that i look to avoid.
Jon

skipcareyisfat
08-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Maybe this guy knows where it went. From today's Uni Watch blog ...

Entertaining story of possibly dubious veracity from David C. Murphy, who passed along this note that he received from a friend: “When I worked at Airborne Express (’90-’97), occasionally we would see packages go through from whoever made the MLB jerseys at that time. If someone got called up, traded, or needed a new jersey, there would be one shipped out. On more than one occasion, I would get the jersey out and try it on. I think I worked one whole shift wearing a Dwayne Henry Astros jersey. That falls under the ‘It seemed like a good idea at the time’ stories.”

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/

harpt
08-31-2007, 02:48 PM
It just happened to me. I recently (August 10th) sold a bat on ebay. The buyer never got it. Finally today he received an empty tube which he says was stamped multiple times in red "received without contents."

Tomorrow I will have to go to the post office to figure out how to do a claim. What a hassle.

More than that though, it makes me sick that this guy will not get this bat that he has been excited about.

3arod13
08-31-2007, 03:07 PM
It just happened to me. I recently (August 10th) sold a bat on ebay. The buyer never got it. Finally today he received an empty tube which he says was stamped multiple times in red "received without contents."

Tomorrow I will have to go to the post office to figure out how to do a claim. What a hassle.

More than that though, it makes me sick that this guy will not get this bat that he has been excited about.

This happens way to often and would be nice if UPS was investigated. Difficult to do, but it would be nice.

When it happened to me, I was so lucky that I saw the UPS guy running away from my house and towards his truck. When I yelled to him that the box was empty, which was obvious, and he then came back and I could tell he was playing dumb. No way could he not tell the box was empty, especially when one end was open. Oh, the tube was in there, but not the bat. If it fell out, the entire contents including the tube would have fallen out. Yes, someone definately attempted to steal it. I called and then ran straight down to UPS. Yes, by the time I got to UPS, they found the bat. They said it slipped out somehow and they found it. Yeah, I bought that story.

I got lucky. Many don't. How people can rob and steal from others in the performance of their duties, is beyond me. We live is a greedy society. Truly sad!

Regards, Tony

3arod13
08-31-2007, 03:10 PM
This happens way to often and would be nice if UPS was investigated. Difficult to do, but it would be nice.

When it happened to me, I was so lucky that I saw the UPS guy running away from my house and towards his truck. When I yelled to him that the box was empty, which was obvious, and he then came back and I could tell he was playing dumb. No way could he not tell the box was empty, especially when one end was open. Oh, the tube was in there, but not the bat. If it fell out, the entire contents including the tube would have fallen out. Yes, someone definately attempted to steal it. I called and then ran straight down to UPS. Yes, by the time I got to UPS, they found the bat. They said it slipped out somehow and they found it. Yeah, I bought that story.

I got lucky. Many don't. How people can rob and steal from others in the performance of their duties, is beyond me. We live is a greedy society. Truly sad!

Regards, Tony

Most importantly, this was the Derek Jeter Minor League Bat. It was being returned from the Yankees, so I'm sure someone at UPS definately knew what was in the box.

B1SON
09-01-2007, 01:20 AM
Cjosefy,
Seeing as in our fantasy baseball league your email address is the only one hidden i figured this place to be the best to express my disapointment about you totally bailing on the league you signed up for and said you were gonna participate in.Don't ever bother to try to play in a GUU league that i set up again.You are the type of player that i look to avoid.
Jon

OUCH! :(

B1SON
09-01-2007, 01:24 AM

How people can rob and steal from others in the performance of their duties, is beyond me.

You hit the nail on the head. This is what gets me the most. They are doing it AT WORK! PATHETIC!

both-teams-played-hard
09-01-2007, 03:41 AM
http://img103.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2007/09/01/upsbat2final-47oinwtnb.jpg

Bigcatbaseball
09-01-2007, 11:07 AM
As I started this post on the theft of my bat by someone at UPS, I thought I would post an update. I called the UPS representative no less than 4 times in the last week. At first they said they found my bat but returned it to a special holding location. Then they said it was to be mailed back to me, then it was being held at the Houston warehouse. Finally, they decided it was not a Jeff Kent bat but a Jeff Bagwell bat, which had an invoice attached. This is a complete run around and a shameful way for a company like UPS to handle the situation.

The UPS representative told me it was ashame that the bat was stolen. Where is the concern by UPS that they have dishonest employees who are stealing from customers? For my money, I will never use UPS again and I would discourage any of my friends from trusting their collectibles to the pack of thieves at UPS.

For the record, the bat was mailed from Calirfornia to Houston. :mad:

3arod13
09-03-2007, 08:06 AM
http://img103.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2007/09/01/upsbat2final-47oinwtnb.jpg

Hey, the 4th bat down on the left IS MY BAT!!! (lol):D

Many of these situations are truly sad. I almost was a victim and got lucky. Guess we all need to be very careful and pay more to protect ourselves.

both-teams-played-hard
01-04-2008, 02:58 PM
My wife bought some jewelry. Company sent it via UPS. Package arrived opened, and re-sealed with a book inside to compensate for the weight. Book was about witchcraft and voodoo. Fitting, right? This is a jewelry company my wife deals with often. It is obvious that UPS is the culprit.

bigtruck260
01-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I manage a division of a pharmacy for a major metro hospital...

UPS is our carrier for prescription medication shipments to patients. We have had numerous packages opened (we only use a generic hospital address on the label)...this includes narcotics, and the occasional Lipitor.

The boneheads at our location knew that the packages were coming from us and took a 1/100 chance on getting the good stuff...though most of the time is was mail order matainence meds like Prozac or Zoloft.

It happens with all carriers I have used personally. I trust USPS and the inferior tracking system they have. The US Mail is my personal choice.

Though, it may not be long before we are "disguising" out bat packages.

Dave

allstarsplus
01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
I prefer shipping Fedex, although their insurance policy isn't as liberal as UPS, they have been more reliable for me as a shipper.

Most of the people I purchase from use UPS and I will let you know how my Soriano "missing" bat plays out with them and insurance, etc.

The one thing I do now is sign in person for all of my items as I don't want packages left at the door.

Andrew

An update to this previous Post that over 4 months later and UPS still has not reimbursed the shipper for my Soriano bat.

In this case, UPS reimburses the shipper and then the shipper has to reimburse me so this is a major SNAFU.

I did a conference call last week with the shipper and myself and UPS and still no resolution.

Any suggestions?????

Andrew

sammy
01-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Sometimes, you just have to make it personal, not business.

griffeyfan
01-04-2008, 07:56 PM
All of these stories are a painful reminder to the ordeal I went through with UPS several years ago. I was expecting a delivery that consisted of a baseball personalized to me from Griffey Jr. along with a large photo from the All-Star game. An empty tube arrived (damaged). I was furious to say the least since the baseball would be a prized item. The next day I was with a group of co-workers and one of them mentioned they were working part-time at UPS loading trucks during the holiday season. I couldn't resist sharing the ordeal of my missing items, which I was waiting on a response from UPS customer service. The co-worker informed me that they knew exactly where my items were located . . . he saw a UPS co-worker tossing the baseball with someone else and another with the photo on their desk. Needless to say I got ugly with Customer Service and the items were "located" and returned to me. So what can brown do for you?

10thMan
01-05-2008, 06:18 PM
I`ve never met a UPS Person that likes an Apt. Complex...Security/non-security door, Stairs/No-Stairs. I bought a jersey for my g/f from MLB, it was shipped DHL, they`re courier at the time, Needless to say, she never got it. Nothing but a hassle from DHL (I had Insurance) also even MORE OF A HASSLE from MLB, treated like an absolute donkey...Unbelievable, several weeks & complaints had gone by, I finally got ahold of an administrator, & told them I "just happened to be a Notary Public" (which I am) & Also suggested I will "write one heck of a letter, to the Better Buisiness Bureau"
Gee, All of a sudden, I got another Jersey. I`m surprised that one showed up, specially in Los Angeles.
Griffeyfan, I was thinking the same thing, reading this thread!!! "what can Brown do for me"
HOW ABOUT FIND A PARKING SPOT!!!!!!
Sean

scottanservitz
01-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi all. I just got to reading this thread and I too have a story to tell about UPS. Actually two stories. The first one is quite simple. I had a bat authenticated. It was an Arod gamer. The bat was left on my front porch. I was a bit surprised because it was supposed to be signed for. Luckily it was behind a bush so nobody could see it. Story #2, I bought a Vlad gamer from eBay. The seller sent it UPS in a bat tube for all to see. Luckily I have a buddy I played softball with who drives for UPS. He saw the bat and my name on the shipping label. He personally took the bat and dropped it off with my wife, (my address is not on his route). He told her that he wanted to make sure it got to me because as it was it may not have made it. If he didn't see the label I may still be waiting on that bat! I will never send UPS for any of my collectables!!!

metsbats
01-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Sadly the UPS theft ring has made it's way on to the football field too.

David

allstarsplus
01-07-2008, 04:38 PM
I made a pickup at the after-hours door at the UPS trucking facility. As each driver left the facility, they passed by the security guard on the way to the parking lot and appeared to be padded down.

This makes no sense to me as this is a detterent that you won't steal any package on your way out the door, but what is to stop you from meeting an accomplice during your route and swiping a package?

I Google'd UPS Driver Theft and 1,230,000 relevant hits came up.

Think this doesn't happen (read the last line):

UPS Driver Admits Stealing $1 Million In Packages

WAUKEGAN, Ill. (STNG) ― A former driver for United Parcel Service pleaded guilty Monday in Lake County Circuit Court to theft for stealing several thousand items valued at an estimated $1 million, and was sentenced to prison by Judge James Booras.

Patrick M. Kovarsky, 34, of Kenosha entered a negotiated guilty plea to three counts of theft and was sentenced to two years in prison with remand scheduled Thursday. Prosecutor Patricia Fix and defense attorney Neil Weisbond negotiated the recommended plea and sentence and Booras accepted both.

Kovarsky had initially been charged with 26 counts of theft and wire fraud, but the remaining charges were dropped as a result of the plea negotiations. UPS waived restitution, but will have access to the thousands of items Gurnee police have seized at Kovarsky's home. Items identified through UPS documentation will be delivered to the appropriate customers.

Gurnee detectives, executing a search warrant, found an estimated 4,600 items in Kovarsky's home. The items, valued at approximately $1 million, included computer equipment, electronics, DVDs and jewelry. Victims mostly were large businesses in and around Gurnee Mills, and included Sears, Target, Best Buy, EB Games, Game Stop, Golf Galaxy and two jewelry stores.

Kovarsky had been a 15-year-employee of UPS, working as a substitute driver. He was fired when an internal UPS investigation narrowed down to him.

Police said he would take items from his UPS truck, and transfer them to his home, where he would sell them over the Internet.

Police indicated he would focus on shipments involving multiple boxes and would deliver some of the boxed items, and hand over paperwork for the remainder, indicating they had not been included in the shipment.

UPS helped Gurnee police move the stolen items from Kovarsky's home to the police department. They filled two large UPS trucks.

Fix said Kovarsky will forfeit to Gurnee police his truck (valued at $6,000) and a financial account, also valued at $6,000, as well as a digital camera, computer and scanner. If he can prove ownership, he can keep several watches and jewelry, and a Bears' jersey autographed by Gale Sayers.
(Source: Sun-Times News Group Wire)

SSB15
01-07-2008, 09:45 PM
I have found UPS to be very good. However, there are several insurance companies that provide insurance coverage for collectibles. The insurance generally covers items that are being shipped by UPS.

Scott

Shooter44
01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
I had a similar problem with the USPS last week. I purchased a Frank Thomas bat from JETEFAN earlier in the week and received an empty tube at the Post Office on Friday. It was insured, but I have been looking for an early Thomas LVS with good use for several years and doubt I will be able to find another one any time soon.