PDA

View Full Version : MLB Auctions

ahuff
08-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Just wondering what everyone's experience is with mlb.com's auctions. I recently won an item. It wasn't just any old item, but one of my holy grail items. Since winning it has been all downhill. I have had a HORRIBLE time getting to pay for it. It was my fault, as I had an old credit card on file.

The way I found out my info was old, was that I was sent a "spam" style e-mail from a sender by the name "All Star". "All Star" wanted me to update my Credit Card info by entering it into a third party site (link provided in the e-mail) complete with my the 3 digit code on the back. In this e-mail, I was not provided any sort of private information that only mlb and I would know. Rather it was just the public information off the auction website.

From a security standpoint, this style of communication is suppose to raise all types of red flags.

I did immediately update my information, but I did it in the mlb.com website. This update obviously occurred after the auction closed. I then sent a reply to "All Star" saying my information had been updated on the mlb.com website if they wanted the updated information. Guess what yesterday I get an e-mail saying my mlb.com transaction has been cancelled.

Several internet searches and review of mlb.com reveal ZERO phone numbers to contact the auction department. Just a worthless link to send customer service an e-mail. I did send e-mails to several departments and continued my internet search for any other useful phone number. I finally found a number to call the Padres. They were VERY HELPFUL!!!! This crew is top notch. I was directed to John w/the Padres. He told me he is not in charge, but thought he knew who to contact. After a few minutes, I got to talk to John again and he said he had e-mailed the person, but they were gone for the day. I asked if "the person" had a phone number where I could call them in the morning or leave a voice message. I guess they did not.

I still don't know who "All Star" is, but today I did get an e-mail response from John's person. (Not one other one from any of the e-mails I sent through the customer support website). I was told, by this gentleman, that "the system can't recognize the [updated] information - if the auction is closed". I was to contact him to finalize the deal. Guess what. No phone number. So I guess I'm back to the e-mail and wait game.

MLB needs to update their customer service or at least the ease to contact people.

Just wondering what everyone else's experience has been like.

dcrules01
08-21-2007, 01:42 PM
If they are like Steiner auctions if your card is not updated they can relist the item without notifying you.

dcrules01
08-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Here is a phone number I called when I had a problem with one of the items I won .They sent me the wrong item hope this helps 1-212-485-6125.

brianborsch
08-21-2007, 05:18 PM
How often do they mess up? I am thinking about buying a couple things from them and don't want to if they just mess it up all the time.

Brian B.

dcrules01
08-21-2007, 05:26 PM
I have bought 3 things from them

1 Won a Mike DiFelice Katrina batting helmet they sent me a catchers helmet .Problem was corrected

2 Won a Game used Aug 18,2007 ball for the Mets never recd it was refunded with no explanation.

3 Won Endy Chavez mothers day bat besides the slow shipping recd no problem.

ahuff
08-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks. I stumbled on a phone number and actually tracked down the head of the auction. I finally was able to pay for the jersey. I'll let you know if I receive without further incident.

Thanks

godwulf
08-21-2007, 06:19 PM
The only thing I've ever purchased at auction from MLB was one of those plastic locker tags - Bob Welch's tag from the World Baseball Classic (he was the pitching coach for the Dutch team). It arrived loose - no padding whatsoever - in a large manilla envelope, and had sustained a major crease on one end. I emailed a complaint to Customer Service and got zero response. It so happens that there's a similar item up for auction right now, but I don't know whether I should bid or save my money, if that's all they care about the condition of the items they sell.

Blake
08-25-2007, 12:24 PM
I've made numerous purchases from MLB Auctions. I find the delivery spotty at best. I still waiting for an item I purchased over 2 months ago. I sent numerous notes to their customer service post, but have had no luck. Thanks for posting the contact#. At least I was able to talk to a person about my item!

Gerald

Vintagedeputy
08-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Two months ago, I emailed MLB about a hologram number that I was unable to read.

I'm still waiting for a reply.

earlywynnfan
08-25-2007, 02:12 PM
I've won two items, and both were as described. I did have one problem: instead of listing my shipping address as "OH", they put me in ON for Ontario; the item was shipped to the correct address, but for billing purposes they charged me $50 instead of $6! It took numerous calls to track down the correct person, but they handled it for me.

Ken

fixter
10-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Has anyone had any success with the phone number listed above? I just get some individual's voice mail.

Thanks,
Chris

jrd
10-12-2007, 08:45 AM
I've never won anything on MLB Auctions but that's because they won't recognize my address for my credit card. I've even tried buying items from their website store and it still doesn't work and they say they can't fix it.

The couple times I've delt with them, I found their customer service to be terrible.