PDA

View Full Version : Mystery jersey help?

fixter
08-18-2007, 07:40 PM
So I have found a very obscure item that I would like some help with.

It is a 2001 All-Star David Bell jersey.

I purchased this on ebay thinking it was a fan creation or even a retail jersey sold in the Seattle area prior to the game. I know that David Bell came very close to making the roster in 2001, but came up short at the last minute.

Since the tagging is 0006, it has me confused as to where it came from. The seller was no help.

Also 46 is the same size of the 2001 Mariners BP Jersey that is definately GU.

Keeping in mind that I love the fact that this is a unique part of my jersey collection (I only collect Bell family items) and I dont care what the results are....I would just like to know what those of you that know jerseys better than I think this might be.

I am attaching pictures.

Thanks!

XPFO
08-18-2007, 09:16 PM
The first thing that alarms me is how the wash tag is sewn into the jersey. As stated many times in other threads, the tag is always sewn into the seam line, this jersey appears by the picture to be sewn on after it was stitched up by the green thread. I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like in the pick.

Also.....00006.....seems strange. All my jerseys are 000062 or 000063.

XPFO
08-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Maybe I am wrong about the stitching...I don't know now.

TNTtoys
08-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Certainly is an odd jersey. I am not very sure about the material the jersey is made out of. I was under the impression that from circa 1998 and onward, micromesh was used on the game jerseys whereas regular mesh was used for the jerseys that were sold in retail stores. That said, I don't believe that I have seen a 2001 All-Star game used jersey in person... but don't know why the manufacturers would start using the micromesh, switch back, and then return to micromesh.

Anyone else out there have any clues?

dcrules01
08-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Size 46 is team issued only..The 0006 code could have been an old code before the 0062 0065 codes for game/team issued. The material as Nick had stated is diffrent here is a photo of Ripken and Gywnn...I agree with XP about the tag being sen on top of the seam instead of underneath that is a clear red flag imo.Nice jersey though especially if you are a fan of Bell..

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AACI020%7ETony-Gwynn-and-Cal-Ripken-2001-All-Star-game-Posters.jpg

dcrules01
08-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Actually the material does look similar or are me eyes deceiving me :confused:

fixter
08-19-2007, 03:15 PM
I would agree that the material does actually look similar to the photo. And the tagging of 0006 appears accurate based on this thread.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=3417&highlight=0006

I can't see anyone taking the time to create a "fake" Bell jersey for a game he never played in. But I guess stranger things have happened.