PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez game used D-Bat on ebay

jon_8_us
08-16-2007, 09:52 PM
No suprise this is an ASI auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MANNY-RAMIREZ-GAME-USED-BAT-RED-SOX-ASI_W0QQitemZ180150128027QQihZ008QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have not seen Manny use a D-bat ever.I have also not see Manny shave the handle on any bat i have either held or seen in pictures of game use.Not to say he hasn't but it is very unlikely.Manny goes to such lengths as his current tape job just to make the bottom of the handle even fatter.This could be a BP bat but that is certainly left out of the description.ASI is the king of questionable Ramirez stuff.I have emailed them in the past about such concerns only to be brushed off with the same "All our items come from the athlete"excuse.
Jon

kylehess10
08-16-2007, 10:19 PM
This could be a BP bat but that is certainly left out of the description.

Most likely since like you said, you haven't ever seen him use this style bat. The number on the end of the barrel does appear to match his handwriting

Aksflyest
08-16-2007, 11:05 PM
This is actually the 3rd on of these pop up within the past two weeks on ebay. I was just about to ask if anyone had ever heard him of using these because I had never seen it. There is another one, item number 300141699127, up right now from a seller I believe sold one just last week.

jon_8_us
08-17-2007, 12:28 AM
This is actually the 3rd on of these pop up within the past two weeks on ebay. I was just about to ask if anyone had ever heard him of using these because I had never seen it. There is another one, item number 300141699127, up right now from a seller I believe sold one just last week.

I have noticed this as well.He probably placed an order for a few bats and used them for BP if at all.Maybe others used them in BP.Just because it has his number on it doesn't mean others didn't use it to try during BP.As soon as most of those bats get in the clubhouse they are marked on the knob by the equipment manager or the player.2-3 Sox players used D-Bats quite frequently last year.
Jon

eGameUsed
08-17-2007, 09:14 AM
I have actually met the D-Bat owner and seen bats. D-Bat is based in Mount Pleasent, TX and has tried to focus on local guys and minor leaguers. They have been succesful with the Astros and Rangers, most notably Hunter Pence (contract deal). Somhow, they impressed Mike Lowell and Mark Loretta of the Red Sox, as they are frequesnt users of D-Bat. In fact, Mark Loretta (now with the Astros) has been using the D-Bat for a couple of weeks. I would imagine that if two Red Sox are using bats, they likely sent Manny a case to try to sway him. The ASI bat appears to be numbered just like other Manny bats, but the bat was likely given to another player for use. That is common for the off brand bats.

Thanks,

worldchamps
08-17-2007, 11:31 AM
This is how I imagine this happens

Company signs contract with player to get $X a bat.

Player through the year gets sent cases and cases of bats from all types of companies, they take to the cages, etc. Thinking the more of the these I use, the more $ I can bring in

In a normal case of bats they get from the compnay only a couple of them weigh the right amount, good wood etc ( search for the Ichiro article on here)

So all these bats gets one or two hits in a cage and come back as game used

Agree, Disagree?

This is why to me, a cracked bat pounded with use is the best way to go.